Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

M73 cluster........?

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by kevan hubbard, Dec 16, 2018.

M73 cluster........?

Started by kevan hubbard on Dec 16, 2018 at 10:35 AM

4 Replies 887 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I see that there is now some debate about faint m73.previously the consensus was that messier made a mistake and m73 wasn't a real cluster just an asterism of 4 faint stars.the asterism idea plus it's faintness, about 9th magnitude,put people off looking for m73.however there now seems to be some evidence that the stars are related thus forming a true cluster,a sparse one as I think that I read only 3 where related.i must confess that I have never seen m73 myself although I did try looking for it a few years ago.

Gabby76 and Seer like this.
  2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I just looked M73 up in my Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas. In its list of Messier objects it says "(clump of four stars)". On pages 66 & 77 they show it indicated with an X denoting a Special object instead of any kind of cluster.

3. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

I have always considered it a asterism even though it has been considered as both that and a cluster.
    With it being reasonably dim and small it can be easily past by accidentally.

4. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I am wondering if it is something that I would even be able to see?

5. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

It's one of the strange messier objects.the Galaxy m101, which I have seen,is another.m101 isn't actually at the coordinates messier supplied but near them so people assumed that he made a mistake and was referring to m101.why also did he include stuff like M's 44,45,42 as no one could mistake these for comets?