Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mars - 04 July 2018

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Jul 4, 2018.

Mars - 04 July 2018

Started by Ed D on Jul 4, 2018 at 5:47 PM

12 Replies 200 Views 5 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Finally, everything came together and I imaged Mars! :)

I woke up at 3:00am for whatever reason. When I looked outside it was very favorable for setting up my equipment and imaging. This morning I used my 6" Mak on the GEM, and set up the ASI290MC with the new filter wheel.

I took five captures in RGB24, per my notes following the images. I also converted three of the images to Mono-8. Normally my best planetary images are when I use the Baader Neodymium filter with UV/IR cut. However, this morning the best one was the no-filter image that let the full RGB and IR spectrum through. The planet-wide dust storm can do quirky things to images.

Although I'm posting all eight images, my two favorites are the no-filter and IR 685nm Pass filter images in RGB24, and they are really very similar, almost identical in detail. The rest of the images are posted so you can see the different outcomes of the various filters and color/mono presentation. Of particular interest is the 850nm IR pass filter image taken in RGB24, which has a purple tone to it. Weird, I thought it would be a very deep red. I imaged with the Wratten #47 Violet because it's close to UV. The result is interesting.

Ed D

1 - RGB24 No filter.jpg
    RGB24, no filter. Passes full spectrum, including IR. One of my favorites.

2 - RGB24 Baader Neodymium filter.jpg
    RGB24 with Baader Neodymium filter with UV/IR blocking. Not too thrilled about this one.

3 - RGB24 685nm IR Pass filter.jpg
    RGB24 with 685nm IR Pass filter. My favorite of the eight. Similar to the first image except the pinkish hue.

4 - Mono8 685nm IR Pass filter.jpg
    Same image with the 685nm IR Pass filter converted to Mono-8. I like the RGB24 version better.

5 - RGB24 850nm IR Pass filter.jpg
    RGB24 image using the 850nm IR Pass filter. The purple hue was unexpected. This may be my Venus filter.

6 - Mono8 850nm IR Pass filter.jpg
    Same image using the 850nm IR Pass filter converted to Mono-8.

7 - RGB24 Wratten #47 filter.jpg
    I wanted to try imaging close to UV, hence the Wratten #47 filter. Interesting result.

8 - Mono8 Wratten #47 filter.jpg
    Last, but not least, the Wratten #47 image converted to Mono-8.

Subject: Mars
    Date: 07/04/2018
    Time: 03:15hr to 04:00hr EDT (07:15 to 08:00 UT)
    Conditions: 8-9/10, high heat and humidity
    Instrument: 150mm iOptron Mak on driven CG-4
    Camera: ZWO ASI290MC
    Focal Length: f/14
    Capture Size: 1280x960
    Frames:
    3:15am no filter 3k frame
    3:22am Badder Neo 3k frame
    3:30 685nm IR 2.5k frame
    3:39 850nm IR 2.7k frame
    3:50 W-47 2.3k frame
    All captures 17% stack
    Software: SharpCap 2.9, PIPP, AS!2, RegiStax 6, Photo Studio

Notes:
    - B&W images are RGB24 converted to Mono8
    - Planet-wide dust storm continues, features obscured
    - Some albedo features visually observed to be extremely faint

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

BTW, after I finished imaging I did visual observations. The planet-wide dust storm obscures the surface enough so that it was extremely hard to see very faint albedo features, nothing I could identify.

Ed D

3. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Some nice images, hopefully this storm will dissipate very soon.

4. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Seems to wearing itself out. Let's wish a swift demise!

5. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice work, Ed! Love the images using the different filters, visually showing the effect of each. I'll probably try some more imaging this weekend (weather permitting). Mars seems to be showing more hints of detail, little by little, as time moves on!

6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Great images Ed. I think I can make out Utopia Planitia in the northern hemisphere.

7. Orion25

For comparison, here is one of my images from June 29 (the camera automatically cuts IR):
    ASTRONOMY - MARS (5MP BARLOW BIG MAK) 6-29-18 CAPTION.jpg

Dave In Vermont, Ed D and Nebula like this.
  8. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice image, Reggie. Years from now all of us that imaged the "Great Mars Dust Storm of 2018" will be glad we did. It will be a good reference.

I had been beating my brains out trying to combine one shot color RGB24 images and the IR Pass images using GIMP. How much easier could it have been than to simply not use a filter and pass all the wavelengths? What had been holding me back from doing this was knowing that IR and visible colors don't focus the same and images can turn out soft. Well, isn't the image of Mars soft due to the dust storm? Hmmm... The results speak for themselves. Sometimes the easiest approaches are the best solutions.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate so we can continue imaging Mars, dust storm or not.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  9. Dave In Vermont

Ed -

I must say, your montage of those filters is great! I've given them their prominent place in the 'Mars 2018 Opposition' file I'm busily creating. And I'll be paying close attention to the usage of filters in folks' images & filter usage in the 'Dust-Storm & it's 'Effects Of Filters' this time around. That's one of the things we didn't have time to prepare for back in 2003, though it did get some coverage of enough to whet our appetites' for this time. The 2003 Dust-Storm was wholly unexpected.

But some rather expected this one, 'Murphys' Law' being what it is....:p

So a BIG THANK YOU for your contribution to this endeavor! And to you, Reggie - discoverer of a dramatic new usage for the Polarizing-Filter on the Onion-Planet! :cool:

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Ed D and Orion25 like this.
  10. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

It's nice to know that my efforts serve some utility. Thanks, Dave.

I do plan to image using colored planetary filters, whenever I get another opportunity. Let's see what come out of that.

Ed D

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  11. Dave In Vermont

Please do, Ed! I'll be looking foreward to your findings. Every bit, byte, or ? helps feed the 'Miles'-O'-Files!' :cool:

D.

12. Orion25

You're most welcome, Dave, but I have to credit Mak for the inspiration for Venus. Now, all focus will be on Mars, lol! Ed did an awesome job with his montage; a great reference!

13. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I learned something new at Cloudy Nights about using the RGB Balance function in RegiStax - credit going to RedLion of NJ. I took my IR Cut image and did an Auto-Balance, which brought out the whites much better. A little brightening and contrast adjustment finished this image.

I also tried it on the 685nm IR Pass image and it turned mono, as well as the Wratten #47 and 850nm IR Pass images. Interesting, as Mr Spock would say.

Ed D

Mars 2018 07-04.jpg
    RGB Balanced image.

Orion25 likes this.