Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Meade Lx-65 with a 150 mm MCT or SCT cass?

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Lunar Mike, May 26, 2020.

Meade Lx-65 with a 150 mm MCT or SCT cass?

Started by Lunar Mike on May 26, 2020 at 1:21 PM

1 Replies 1259 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Lunar Mike

Lunar Mike New Member

Hello to you all. First off I live in a second floor apartment . I have had big scopes in the past like a 10 inch dob/8 inch reflector/8 inch SCT. The scope I have used the most was a Celestron C-5. So knowing what a full sized Orion MVP-GEM mount as well as as a 5 inch SCT is like. I know a 6 inch SCT or a 6 inch MCT would be perfect ! An MCT/SCT scope optics . I Absolutely love to look at the moon all time favorite thing to look at hence my name on here . Then I love small-medium planetary nebulas, double and triple stars, as well as the ever changing planets. I know an MCT has a narrow field of view as well but they are great for pushing magnifications and I have read a 6 inch MCT can rival what expensive 4 inch APO refractors can do and have much more light grasp in a much smaller package . So the question is do I get a 6 inch SCT for generally all around performance or do I go for the MCT which I know caters nicely to the objects I like to look a the most. I really have no serious ambitions of astro photography, I am mainly a full time visual observer. As for the mount I really like the Meade LX65 mount. You can mount all sorts of things to it and it really has good capacity for what I wanna do. possibly mount two scopes at once. What are your thoughts between these two scope designs?

2. PXR-5

PXR-5 Well-Known Member

That's the age old question.

I can tell you that a 5" Mak is a great balcony scope :)
    A 6 may require a bit more mounting.

I have used my 127 on a Vixen Porta at our place in Mrytle Beach with good results.
    The C6 will ride on the Porta but even though it's the same weight it has more shakes.

Personally, I think Maks do better as Urban scopes and targets. While the SCT is better for deep sky and more rural areas.

YMMV