Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

mercury from Georgia.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, Jul 8, 2018.

mercury from Georgia.

Started by kevan hubbard on Jul 8, 2018 at 11:51 AM

2 Replies 87 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I'm in Tbilisi, Georgia, at the moment. A beautiful city set in a gorge and 3 natural waterfalls within a 30 minutes walk of the old centre!one's only 5 minutes.but from earth to space. It's mainly been cloudy in Tbilisi but tonight I was able to a spy mercury just as the sun had gone.I was on a mountain top which has a huge statue of mother Georgia on it I'd guess dating from the 1970s.sadly the Georgian take light pollution seriously, how to produce more of it!every lump of stone masonry is floodlit.

2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Light pollution notwithstanding, it sounds like a beautiful place, Kevan. I'm half way around the world in "the other Georgia" stateside, lol. Interesting report!

Reggie

3. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Indeed it is I'd rate Tbilisi as one of the most beautiful capital cities on our planet,using beautiful due to it's natural geographical features not human buildings which makes say Paris beautiful in a different way.Joseph Stalin was born in gori about 80km n.e.of Tbilisi. Stalin attended a theological seminary in Tbilisi but his flirtation with God was not to last!he discovered Marx and Lenin! Ex soviet Georgia takes it's name from St George, US Georgia and the remote, I'd love to go!,island of south Georgia from the English king George. Although possibly not the same king George, as south Georgia is the back of beyond and must have been discovered long after US Georgia?however I'm in Yerevan, Armenia, now and may nip out to try and see the conjunction between Venus and Regulus.

Orion25 likes this.