Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Mercury Transit - 11/11/2019

Discussion in 'Celestial Events' started by Ed D, Oct 20, 2019.

Mercury Transit - 11/11/2019

Started by Ed D on Oct 20, 2019 at 5:12 AM

4 Replies 5409 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Here we go again. For those of us who missed the 2016 Mercury transit across the sun, we have an opportunity again this November 11th. I hope we get clear skies this time around. In 2016 my friend Bill and I palnned, set up our equipment, and then...

This time I'm not making any detailed or complex plans. Funny how detailed planning never seems to work out. No, it will be more like guerilla observing from home. I will be using a 50mm spotting scope with a Baader white light filter from Agena that I should be getting tomorrow. I'm mounting the spotter on my Twilight I mount using the dovetail plate I adapted for my DSLR. Overkill on the mount, I know, but I don't have a photo tripod at this time. Hey, it works!

Although I'm lukewarm about imaging the transit, I may try taking a few. Again, more opportunistic than detailed planning. I'll simply use a 2" to T-2 adapter I have with the DSLR and slip it over the eyepiece of the spotter.

The transit starts around 7:30am for those of us in Miami, Florida. You can go to https://www.timeanddate.com and under the Sun and Moon tab click on Eclipses to check times for your location. This is what the page for Miami times looks like: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/miami

Hopefully I'll have better luck this time around.

Ed D

2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Well, events unfolded that impeded me from even being outdoors. However, being stubborn and hard-headed as I am, I did manage to get a couple of quick peeks at the transit, but no pics. As Mr Spock would say: "Fascinating"

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  3. John Done

John Done Member

I don't know what you have observed as the last Mercury transit was in 2016 and the next one will not be sooner than in 2032.

4. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

5. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nope, the last Mercury transit was in November 2019. I was there and got a picture, too, lol:
    ASTRONOMY - SUN - MERCURY TRANSIT BEST 11-11-19 SM.jpg

Attached Files:

Ed D and Mak the Night like this.