Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

mini stargazing.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, May 16, 2018.

mini stargazing.

Started by kevan hubbard on May 16, 2018 at 3:00 PM

2 Replies 923 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I gave my Zeiss 5x10 mini quick monocular a try last night. Semi cloudy.I was able to pick out only 2 m objects with certainly with it m44 and m13.the business end isn't much more than a juvenile human eye pupil at full dilation(7mm)but about double that of an older persons(5mm).well a bit better than the naked eye as I don't think you can get m13 for sure.I was a bit unimpressed by the design for an upmarket optics firm as I was turning what I thought was the focus ring and unscrewed the eyepiece! Proving it isn't nitrogen purged but protected by o rings.

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I don't know why they deploy N2 (Nitrogen) to displace air - which is 80% N2 & 18% O2 - as N2 is actually ever-so-slightly lighter-than-air. So if you manage to break the seal holding the gizmo together - O-Rings in your case - it will no longer be N2 filled. The other choice of inert fillings seen is Argon - Ar - which is chemically inert for all practical purposes, and it's considerably heavier-than-air. So if you manage to break the seal, the Ar will stay pretty much in place, unless you wave it about or blow into the thing.

Argon is one of what's known as a Noble Gas. As it's got a filled outer ring of orbiting electrons in it's outer-shell,*it won't react chemically with anything it's likely to encounter. If you look at the far-right-side column on the Periodic Table of Elements below, you'll see the other Noble Gases which are all chemically inert: He, Ne, Ar, Kr, Xe, and Rn. That last one, Rn, is Radon which is highly radioactive - being a leading cause of lung-cancer. Naturally occuring, Rn comes from the decay of radioctive elements normally occuring in nature such as Uranium.

All the normally present in nature that all things - including us - were created in the heart of such thingsas stellar-nova. As this copy of the Periodic-Chart shows you:

Solar-System Origins in Deep-Space.jpg

Not just pretty words - we truly are Star-Dust!

Sorry for sneaking a chemistry-lesson into your broken seal & o-ring, Kevan. I just couldn't resist! :D

D.

* _if you want futher knowledge of this sort of thing, drop me a note. Happy to help!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  3. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

The mini quick isn't purged,with any gas,anyhow just protected by o rings.for some reason Zeiss don't use purging very much with their small monoculars I don't know why as most brands do.most of my stuff is nitrogen purged except for my minox 8x25 poro prism monocular which is argon purged.yes radon gas is bad news if it is under your house! In some parts of our planet it occurs naturally and seeps into houses causing radiation sickness. Image radon purged binoculars!