Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Moon/Saturn Conjunction 16:51 GMT (5/10/22)

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Mak the Night, Oct 2, 2022.

Moon/Saturn Conjunction 16:51 GMT (5/10/22)

Started by Mak the Night on Oct 2, 2022 at 1:12 PM

15 Replies 531 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

moonsat.jpg

Shown at 21:45 British Summer Time. Moon will be approximately four arc degrees south of Saturn.

Orion25 and Ed D like this.
  2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Not happening here but cool for the people of the Kingdom!

3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thanks. Unfortunately, heavy cloud cover here in paradise.

Ed

4. Mak the Night

I won't be able to see it at 16:51 GMT, but I might get a shot a few hours later.

5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

6. Mak the Night

Yes, briefly, it was very low though.

7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

ok a small event but an event nevertheless. (thumbs up emoji)

8. Mak the Night

Conditions were terrible lol.

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night at least you can get out very often, I remember 100+ observation so far in 2022? You at least have better chances of success then the average person. :)

Yeah! (;

I've got an opportunity tonight for Jupiter and the Full Moon, could be an opportunity to test some filters.

10. Mak the Night

I've been having a health problem of late, I may have to go to hospital. So I've not been getting out much recently. Which is a bit disappointing as I was having a pretty good year. I think filter use is a bit subjective. In my experience yellow, light blue, yellow-green and orange filters are the most useful. The next most used are the Baader Neodymium, Contrast Booster, Semi-Apo and Single Polarising filters. I sometimes use broadband and narrowband OIII filters as well.

Nebula likes this.
  11. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night Sorry to hear about you required to go to the hospital, let's hope it will be a case of nothing.. When do you go to the hospital?

I used a couple of filters yesterday during a disappointing Jupiter observation... (Again) the most useful one was 82a, the light blue. It's the only filter I have tried that really helped.

Or at least option A eyepiece without filter and Option B eyepiece with 82a to isolate the equatorial bands, reduce brightness and increase the contrast of the details inside of the bands.

It was a useful tool. The amount the details was so low, making a sketch of the planet seemed unnecessary to me.

12. Mak the Night

Luckily I've had a reprieve from hospitalisation. My doctor's upped my medication. My blood pressure has drastically improved. So I don't have to go any time soon. Unless there's some sort of relapse. The 82A is one of the most useful filters for everything I think lol. Especially Mars and Jupiter. I've got a Lumicon 82A with Hoya glass somewhere, if I can find the bloody thing!

Nebula likes this.
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

14. Mak the Night

Thanks Neb. The new medication is a bit trippy at the moment and I have to be careful while operating heavy machinery or something. Apparently I'll get used to it. Eventually I'll be able to get out more. :)

The Baader light blue filter isn't like a Wratten 82A or the 80A in that it's somewhere between the two. It has good transmission though. I think the Baader are based on an old Zeiss series of colours. The Lumicon is a very subtle light blue. Bear in mind Lumicon threads aren't always compatible with everything. Baader threads normally are.

I finally cracked and ordered a new Lumicon 82A. What's the betting I'll find mine now? :D :eek:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  15. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Ah yeah medication adjustments are a bummer... Fortunately you have the precise Altair refactor, easy to move around and light weight machinery :D

I really don't know which filter I should get between Baader and Lumicon, I am attracted to the Baader quality because of my neodymium filter, it's my best filter because I can't see it instead of losing resolution as with my other filters, there is a real gain of spending the time screwing it to the EP.

But it's not exactly the same thing as a 82a filter, both filters are different, my 82a is darker, it removes a bit more of brightness which is often OK. This year, 82a is useful on Jupiter, obviously.

16. Mak the Night

The newer Lumicon filters have more compatible threads. The Lumicon 82A is a very subtle light blue. It almost looks clear when you first see it.