Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Motor Drive Question

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Seer, Jan 7, 2019.

Motor Drive Question

Started by Seer on Jan 7, 2019 at 6:19 AM

2 Replies 160 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Would it be worth getting a motor drive for my Meade Polaris Telescope?

2. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

A tracking motor is always handy when using higher powers with an EQ mount.

Seer likes this.
  3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Only you can determine if it's worth it based on what you want to accomplish, finances, etc. RA motor drives are available on eBay for about $35-40 shipped. They come with a mounting bracket and hardware, use a 9V battery, and are pretty easy to install and use.

I mounted a Celestron branded motor on my CG-4 years ago and it works as well, if not better than the day I installed it. Because of the side I mounted it on, the motor direction switch is set to South instead of North to get the correct rotation. No big deal.

I made two mods to mine. Early on I found the 9V batteries varied speed as the night progressed. My solution was to solder a long 22ga twisted pair wire with a 9V battery snap on the end. I use a six AA battery holder that has 9V terminals. With the added capacity (amps) the motor speed is stable and the cells last for months with frequent use. The other mod I recently made was to the speed control shaft. It's skinny and somewhat hard at times to dial in the motor speed. I found a small grommet that I slipped on the shaft, and with the increased diameter I can dial in the tracking speed very precisely. I didn't feel a need for the larger diameter until I got into imaging deep space.

You can see the motor on the mount, as well as the battery holder held on the spreader tray with a Velcro strap.

Ed D

IMG_20190101_210102.jpg

Seer likes this.