Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

My First Geminid!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Dec 13, 2017.

My First Geminid!

Started by Orion25 on Dec 13, 2017 at 8:33 PM

9 Replies 2288 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I am a virgin no more! I scored my first meteor on camera! A single 20 second exposure at ISO 1600, captured at 10:16 p.m. on 12/13/17:

ASTRONOMY - GEMINID 12-13-17 AC.jpg

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Pity the Geminid was not cooperating in it's placement - but that is an absolutely excellent photo, Reggie. From the pinpoint stars in the background to the stunning clarity of the trees in the foreground - just, plain wonderful!

Perhaps you're the 'Terran' Avani! Bringing the 3rd. planet from the star into (sharp) focus. :p

R & D

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I saw a bright meteor due south last night, I'm guessing it was a Geminid. Beautiful shot Reggie.

Orion25 likes this.
  4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice shot! Orion's belt and sword show up well.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Orion25

Terran Avani! I would be honored :D! Thanks, Dave. The Geminids were playing a good game of "hide-and-seek" with me. I aim the camera here and one shows up over there, or one pops up just after the shutter closes, haha. I took about 50-20s exposures in near-freezing temps to capture a "piece of as......teriod", lol. I remember after seeing the meteor, thinking, "It looks like it was JUST outside my field of view - maybe, just maybe!" I checked the exposure on the camera view and saw the streak on the extreme left - YES! I hope to get out this weekend and try again - with TWO cameras this time:p:p

T.A.
    Excelsior!

6. Orion25

Thanks, Mak. Photographing meteors is a tricky task. I was triggering exposures almost continuously, readjusting the camera to the area where I last saw one. It definitely takes patience and determination. The picture in which I knew for sure caught one didn't show the meteor at all. This one, I thought the meteor was just outside my field of view, but fortunately, it was right at the edge. Couldn't stay out any later because of work. And now,tonight there are clouds! I am more than satisfied!:D

Reggie

7. Orion25

Thanks, Ed. My very first image of a meteor! I only wish I could have stayed out later to image a few more, perhaps a little more centered. Tonight looks like nothing but cloud. Maybe, this weekend I can catch a few more, though we're moving away from the peak.

Reggie

8. Mak the Night

Yeah, I imagine it's difficult. It's a great picture though, and I can even see M42 in it.

Orion25 likes this.
  9. Orion25

And that reminds me, it's about time for my annual M42 photo. This year, I have a new camera to try out with it (the Nikon D3200). I've been using my trusty old Nikon D50 for years now; I should get much better resolution with the new cam.

10. Mak the Night

Sounds good, I'll look forward to your annual M42 photo.