Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Nebula night!

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Pleiades, Sep 2, 2018.

Nebula night!

Started by Pleiades on Sep 2, 2018 at 9:46 PM

13 Replies 324 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I used my 12x60 Binos, and never even thought to grab the scope that was 6 feet from me. I used the XT6 on Mars, and the double-double, the remainder of the night was all with my binos. I find I do that a lot. Just less hassle, I guess and my boys and I can view all at the same time. Out from 9PM - 11PM. Nebula hunting. Omega M-17, Eagle M-16, Lagoon M-8, Trifid M-20, Some nebulosity around Cassi. (Maybe Heart and Soul, it was very faint).

The remainder of the night was on doubles and M13. Then Mars with the XT6, and trying out my new Celestron, X-Cel 18mm, again. This is an amazing EP. I will be replacing my 6mm Omni with a 7mm X-Cel.

Orion25, Dave In Vermont and Nebula like this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Beautiful nebula spot you looked at Pleiades, the Lagoon is one of my favorite objects, perhaps my second favorite nebula after the great nebula in Orion. Do you have some stand for the binoculars?

Congratulation for your 18mm Xcel LX too I like mine very much, it's very sharp and comfortable. To check if they have debris inside, I look in the EP facing a bright white computer screen, I am pretty sure this problem was corrected now.

My 18mm, 5mm and 25mm were all similar with a metallic eye cup but my newest 9mm, the eyecup is made of plastic and it's easier to unscrew then the metallic version of my 18mm. I sold the 25mm and returned the 5mm because of debris inside, I returned the Celestron 24-8 zoom also for a debris issue. The 18 and 9mm, they are a keeper. IF I don't have the 7mm it's because I already have a 7mm orthoscopic (and no more space to carry anymore eyepieces in my tool box)

Although, I think the 18mm is not very good with my Xcel LX 2x Barlow...eye relief too long and lateral alignment too severe that's why I have a 9mm. :D

Congratulations anyways.

4. Pleiades

I've been lucky with debris. I've got a 40 mm SvBony & a 25mm Sirius with a little dust inside. Both annoying by principal, but no noticeable difference. The 25 mm came with the scope and I have a 25 mm BST that I like pretty well. I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks for the heads up.

Nebula likes this.
  5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I like my gear very much too.. and i can't wait to go outside and use it again...

6. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I just noticed you said you'd used SvBony Eyepieces? That lights up my eyes! Would they look like these by any chance?

SvBony EP's.jpg

I've been on the 'look-out' for any and all data on these for quite awhile now.

Thank you!

7. Mak the Night

The 4mm sucks.

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

i gave my 10mm to my cat. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mak the Night

The 10mm is OK in a slow scope, like a catadioptric lol.

10. Pleiades

I'm not happy with my Svbonny. I have a 40mm and a 10mm. They don't come out much.

11. Mak the Night

To be fair, the 40mm are nicely compact and work well in slow scopes.

IMG_20171005_133948.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  12. Dave In Vermont

Thanks for the feedback, folks! Just to be clear - I'm not a fan of these, optically. I'm a research-scientist, remember. I simply seek information. Not just of things I love, anymore than by researching nuclear-physics means that I want to snuggle-up to a tritium-cased hydrogen-bomb.

3, 2, 1 -

68e8a6a094054334d2862feb4126ef3b.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  13. Mak the Night

I find the 23mm and 10mm 'plastic fantastic' aspherics are really sharp and bright in slow scopes. The 23mm are great in my bino's.

I have no idea who the OEM is. SvBony is almost certainly a distribution name only. The aspherics have been sold as 'Vite' & 'Celestron'.

14. Dave In Vermont

I was drawn to looking at them - and plunking-down $30.00ish for the 3 above - by their gold color. A successful marketing ploy - sort of. Except I knew I was being lured by the sight of "GOLD! GOLD! I'VE FOUND GOLD!" - like some old prospector from the Wild West. :p