Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

New scope in the works

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Scopejunkie, Feb 15, 2019.

New scope in the works

Started by Scopejunkie on Feb 15, 2019 at 4:14 PM

30 Replies 3272 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

The optics are on the way. Hope to put together something interesting (Coulter 10" F/16 Cass) in time for the moon and the planets.

Attached Files:

2. Scopejunkie

We have old Coulter GLASS! Fingers crossed. Hope this works out as planned. :D

Attached Files:

Gabby76 likes this.
  3. Scopejunkie

The first parts have been fabricated. Now the real fun begins, killing the design "bugs" as I go :confused:

Attached Files:

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I'll be following this thread. I like making things and ATM-ing is a lot of fun.

Ed D

5. Scopejunkie

Hi Ed,

Primary mirror is now mounted (clipless). Nylon tipped setscrews keep the mirror in place. Hopefully, since the primary is 1.8" thick, mirror flexure (loss of figure) should not be a problem. The mirror mounting design should help minimize temperture affects since most of the heat from the glass surfaces will be out of the light path. Best laid plans...

Should have more time to ATM tomorrow!

Attached Files:

Gabby76 and Ed D like this.
  6. Scopejunkie

Primary cell and mirror cover completed. Rubber gromets used for primary collimation. Collimatable baffle installed. Hope to have the primary up on the rail in soon. The parts are done. Just have to tie it together. So far, so good...

Attached Files:

Gabby76 likes this.
  7. Scopejunkie

Primary mirror cell assembly is up and mounted. Now to add the focuser and finder.

Attached Files:

Gabby76 likes this.
  8. Scopejunkie

The hacking continues... Focuser and finder installed. Now on to the secondary mount. This will be a bit more of a challenge. I could not find a short piece of, reasonably priced, 5" tubing so I may go with a 2 vane spider.

Attached Files:

Gabby76 likes this.
  9. Scopejunkie

Found an "abandoned" steel dew shield in my scope junk. Hand cut to 3 inches length. And the ATM project continues...

Attached Files:

Gabby76 likes this.
  10. Scopejunkie

Well... The hardware portion of this project is all put together. Now its time for the tweaking and adjustments to begin. Fingers crossed ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Gabby76 likes this.
  11. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Beautiful work. I'm a big fan of long focal length Classical Cassegrains and Maks.

Ed D

Scopejunkie likes this.
  12. Scopejunkie

Well it's up and mounted and wouldn't you know it, it's raining outside :( The tweaking continues...

Attached Files:

Ed D and Gabby76 like this.
  13. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

It looks good, hopefully you can get it out soon!

Scopejunkie likes this.
  14. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Like I said in my previous post, BEAUTIFUL WORK!!! Not that it needs it, but, will you be painting the box tubing and finishing the wood?

I really hope you get clear skies ASAP so you can take your scope out for a good run. Can't wait to read your performance evaluation of this elegant masterpiece.

Ed

Scopejunkie likes this.
  15. Scopejunkie

Thanks Gabby76 and Ed.

I hope to get first light tonight. Did some rework on the circular spider to reduce the sensitivity to vibration. Working today on other small various design bugs.

When all the bugs are worked out then the fine detailing and painting will ensue. The hacking continues...

Attached Files:

Ed D likes this.
  16. Scopejunkie

Well, the prognosis is…

Seeing 3—4/10. 35 degrees. 60% humidity. No wind. The first star viewed revealed some mis-collimation. Star collimated the optics and performed some general viewing. Zeta Orion was well seen. Easily split at 150X. The Trapezium revealed all six stars at the same magnification. The star test hinted at a very good level of the overall optical correction. Need a better night to give a more precise evaluation. My 250lpi glass ronchi grating revealed 4 straight bands with no edge hook. I will try again on a better night using only two bands. Pleased so far. Zero temperature affects visible in the out of focus star pattern.

The moon was well seen. I homed in on one of my favorite lunar targets, the Triesnecker rill complex. It was very well seen even though the moon looked like it was under flowing water (seeing). The F & G craters next to Triesnecker were clearly seen including the one in-between them when the seeing would settle a bit. Not too bad for such a soft night.

Attached Files:

Orion25 and Gabby76 like this.
  17. Scopejunkie

Getting lazier by the year. Scope now on a "sit down" GEM put together from some of my "other junk."

Attached Files:

Gabby76 likes this.
  18. Scopejunkie

Added self-alignment side plates to the spider holder and counter slotted the slots for the cap screws. Didn't realize that the heads were in the light path :eek: Put the scope back on the larger Cave Astrola mount after making another, shorter, pier section for sit down observing. Slotted the holes on the top of the pier to aid in polar alignment. I guess I was a bit spoiled by the greater stability of the larger 1.5" Cave mount compared to the 1" Cave mount. And the tweaking continues...

Attached Files:

Gabby76 likes this.
  19. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice touch on the adjustable secondary. Really like your scope project.

Ed D

Scopejunkie likes this.
  20. Scopejunkie

Thanks Ed D! The adjustable secondary allows me the ability to use my land based test targets (300ft) as well as infinity focus. Also, I may change the focuser in the future so with this mod I can adjust for this change as well (learned from past mistakes).

Despite the bad astronomy weather, I was able to run 380x on Zeta Orionis through a "sucker hole" in the cloud deck last night. The seeing was good enough, through the high clouds, to reveal two well defined airy disks. I was able to tweak the collimation and center the first diffraction ring on the stars. Brought a smile to my face :) After that short viewing window the clouds became worse. Crap! Nothing but showers and fog today :(

When the weather warms/dries up, the painting and detailing will begin.

Gabby76 likes this.