Dismiss Notice
We were experiencing issues with a server migration and upgrade to the underlying platform. Everything should be up and running now, but if you notice any issues with the site please head over to Report and Issue Forums to let us know. If you are unable able to do so, free to email me directly atgeorge@astronomyconnect.com. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
-George

Observing with Small Apertures: 130mm and Below

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Ray of Light, Jul 26, 2016.

Observing with Small Apertures: 130mm and Below

Started by Ray of Light on Jul 26, 2016 at 5:34 AM

2015 Replies 35764 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

Pleiades likes this.
  2. Mak the Night

Just got a butcher's at Saturn with the 90mm StarMax, 39x, 50x, 72x, 89x and 100x. I could see Titan, eventually lol.

saturn titan.jpg

Pleiades likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Caught a fleeting rising Moon with the 90mm StarMax around 03:00 BST. Reinhold, Lansberg and the Montes Carpatus were quite distinct even at 39x. Managed 50x and 66x mainly. Even 89x for a brief while but the transparency just wasn’t there.

moon.jpg

Moon was in Gemini, 17.1° altitude, azimuth 261.6°, waning crescent at 03:00.

REINHOLD.jpg

Images by courtesy of SN7, VMA & GIMP

Pleiades likes this.
  4. Pleiades

Pleiades Active Member

Beautiful moon

5. Mak the Night

6. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

The VMA (VirtualMoon Atlas) is an excellent software-program. A MUST download & use for every Moon lover. And it's

FREE! FREE! FREE!

If I were ever lost on the Moon, that's the'road-map I'd wish to have.

Dave

7. Mak the Night

I always take it with me to the Moon.

8. Dave In Vermont

Actually, Pleiades, in my last dropping-off here I said FREE! 3 X? Well - most of the best software-programs for astronomers like us is free. You just need to know where to look. So.....

I maintain what I call 'The Mile's 'O Files' here which has, as the title suggests, miles of good stuff that won't cost you a dime. It's not stolen. It's not second-quality, It's not defective. And it's not a "Bait & Switch" enterprise. The people making these useful and educational gadgets and goodies, they simply realize that if they were sell it, some crook would steal it. And then mess it up, copy it, and sell it - at lower costs.

Once they stole the customers - people would realize they did get 2nd. quality garbage! And paid for it!

So the writers of the best stuff simply bypass this by keeping it totally free-for-all. So if there is some aspect of astronomy you're wondering about - like how can I put collimation-circles on my computer to assist me in checking my collimation by using a photo - ask me. I can often find exactly what you want/need and drop it un-ceremoniously on your screen's doorstep. <thud!>

And don't shell out any $$$ without asking us astro-folks if they know of free software that works.

Here's one source for some good-stuff-free:

https://sourceforge.net/directory/science-engineering/astronomy/os:windows/

Just shoot me a Bambi and invite me to dinner if I'm ever down your way again - in exchange? I love Venison!

evaD - the Deer Runner-Over...

<with my handy-dandy 2-ton shopping-cart>

9. Mak the Night

I caught a rising M42 with my ST80/Vixen Porta II and the Baader 31mm Aspheric around 02:30 BST. Conditions weren't that good, with some wispy cloud and the transparency was quite below average due to excessive water vapour. I got about 90 mins observing in between clouds before there was more cloud than actual sky. I also used the 19mm Luminos plus Luminos Barlow for about 53x on M42. It looked pretty impressive and the Trapezium was easily discerned even though Orion was low and the transparency wasn’t very transparent lol.

M42 0230 BST.jpg

I stayed with stacked Baader Fringe Killer and Neodymium filters as the conditions weren't really conducive for testing the UHC-S. I also did a few sweeps of the Milky Way and looked at M45 and Caldwell 14 with the Baader Aspheric when the clouds gave me the opportunity. Initial impressions were very good, although the smaller field stop of the 31mm Hyperion Aspheric is noticeable. I thought it was very slightly sharper nearer to the edge than the 36mm. Although there is very little between the two Baader Hyperion Aspherics.

m42 sn71.jpg

I pulled the trigger on one of these Aspherics today. I just couldn't help myself as it was only 14 quid.

MaxthonSnap20170916162657.jpg

10. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by that one. Not too shabby, even with the aspheric lens made out of plastic. Just make sure you don't ever clean it!

11. Mak the Night

Yeah, I read your review of them. I once cleaned a cheap Kellner with a plastic eye lens with Baader cleaning fluid. It seemed OK.

Exploded Kellner.jpg

Well, until I took it to pieces ROTFL.

jgroub likes this.
  12. Dave In Vermont

Looks like something I'd serve in a large bowl at a cocktail-party. Get blitzed <koff> and build-yer-own!

Look out, Al Nagler - here we come...

evaD

AlNaglerAsAKid.png..png

jgroub likes this.
  13. Mak the Night

14. Mak the Night

This combination isn't as heavy as it looks!

IMG_20170917_165204.jpg

If my maths is right, it gave me a 1.5mm exit pupil for about 53x and 1°, 33“ TFOV.

m42 fx.jpg
    Image from Starry Night 7 tweaked with GIMP 2.8.22 & Paint.NET 4.0.17

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 9:33 AM
  15. Dave In Vermont

Your 'Meccano' looks about the same as the US 'Erector Set.' I didn't care much for these, I much preferred the 'Lego Sets' out of Denmark - out of which many advanced spacecraft were cobbled together by Yours' Truly. Seemed only right, the public-schools always looked at me like I just stepped out of a 'Flying Saucer'...

I've never tried those Celestron entries. The design looks as though it's being held together by 'O-Rings' like the ones on the Challenger Space-Shuttle. Hope it doesn't catch fire and explode. :eek: The only Celestron EP I have if the 5mm X-Cel. Not to be confused with the current 'X-Cel LX.' The 'X-Cel' in the 5mm was voted the worst eyepiece ever made over in RowdyFights...er...CloudyNights (your favorite astro-forum, Mak! :p).

Without reservation of the type of telescope you were to put it in, it would give you a big, black & fuzzy kidney-bean. Still does, too.

In all it's glory:

Celestron 5mm X-Cel - Worst EP EVER!.jpg

Note the lack of the 'LX' after the 'X-Cel.' Someday I hope to remember to drag it to a star-party and watch people tripping over their tongues to find a suitable description of it.

Later -

evaD :D

16. Mak the Night

I had a Meccano set as a child, it was pretty much compulsory in the UK at one time. I also had a German optics kit for Christmas one year. You could make a telescope, a microscope, opera glasses and loads of other things. It did teach me a bit about optics that I still find useful.

I have 10, 15 and 19mm Luminos EP's. Their reputation is a tad a mixed or ambivalent. They don't do too well in fast Newtonians but are pretty good in refractors f/5 and slower I find. Apparently suffering from EOFB and can glare in very large fast Newtonians they are avoided by many. I find at low power they equate well with my 19mm Panoptic and 16mm Nagler. The EOFB is hardly noticeable for me in the ST80 and they are pretty sharp right to the edge.

MaxthonSnap20170917182454.jpg

Celestron always depict them in their large SCT's. Which probably tells you something.

lum 10 15.jpg

They are a lot cheaper than Naglers however ...

19mm Luminos.jpg

Not so sure about the O rings, I definitely wouldn't take them into space with me.

Luminos draw tube.jpg

The 10mm above wasn't used for around three years. Until I realised I could clean the visible debris that had suddenly appeared on the actual field lens. After detaching the drawtube/Smyth negative it was pretty easy to facilitate cleaning. When I realised this I decided to acquire other Luminos EP's.

Regardless of their problems in some scopes they are a nice EP. The 2.5x Barlow is high quality and works well in a diagonal.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM