Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Observing with Small Apertures: 130mm and Below

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by Ray of Light, Jul 26, 2016.

Observing with Small Apertures: 130mm and Below

Started by Ray of Light on Jul 26, 2016 at 5:34 AM

4364 Replies 484819 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Hey Mak -

Remember my situation with youtube and Vimeo vids positioning themselves in the middle of pages on my system? Other problems were I couldn't use the usual options to center pictures, attach things like Pdf. files, even download files into my posts. Emoticons were only showing 50% of themselves in their options. As were other things - only 50%-ish of the items on the top-toolbar were showing and in this cut-off state, what did show didn't work!

I thought the whole page wasn't loading. Instead of being at 100% - it was actually 80% or something. And there was no options available to change the size-setting to 100% showing in 'options' or anything. I have no clue what was causing this! And guess what? Blue Moon was suffering the same sort of problems. The ONLY browser that was correctly (LOL!) displaying (but it hardly has all the options I need and/or want) was, wait for it, IE! Of course! And this being a Windows 10 OS - it was more than happy to call home (every 5 minutes) and "Tell Daddy!"

Today I (Finally!) found little free App. that simply lets you set it to show a % of an object (Like a browser-page), and I set it for what this anomaly of problems claimed it was already showing: 100%. And guess what? EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL AND FUNCTIONING AS WAS BEFORE THIS BARGE-LOAD OF PROBLEMS SHOWED UP!

All these problems began right after Windows 10 'Updated' itself. Again. Which it does whether you say it can or not. You have no choice in it's being 'updated' (sabotaged). You can delay these 'updates.' But only for a few hours at most! My guess is it did this to force everyone to use a MicroShaft browser. IE, Cortana, Etc.

But all is well now. Running Firefox and it's running perfectly! But a news article just came out, telling us if we update a Firefox or other non-MSN browser - it will start issuing you warnings that these have dangerous holes in security and various other things - all the while telling "Daddy & the CIA/MI6" what you've been doing this week.

ps - I keep Cortana in a lead-lined box which I buried out in the desert with a buffalo-skull on top of it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Isn't the native Windows browser on 10 called Edge or something? Although I thought the Edge was U2's guitarist.

This is why I run Ubuntu lol.

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Dave In Vermont

Yes - Edge. Also in that lead-lined box in the desert. I had a field-day on '10' - disposing and disabling 1/2 it's damn "Options" that come with.

4. Mak the Night

5. Dave In Vermont

Tried it. Hated it.

Thanks anywho!

6. Mak the Night

I've been using it since it came out. It works well on Ubuntu and Windows. It's the only browser (apart from Pale Moon) that I trust now.

7. Dave In Vermont

If you like it, and it works as you wish, then stick with it - I figure. I feel that way for my Firefox, after I've tweaked it to my specs. It feels intuitive to me. If Vivaldi does this for you - Hurrah!

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Firefox is a very good browser. I like it very much.

9. Dave In Vermont

Me too, Nebs! If you ever get corned into Windows 10 yourself - expect a container-ship of troubles - especially your beloved Firefox being blown-up in your face. Let me know. I'll be well-versed in both 'what & how' to get all back up & running as was that has you love it as you do now at his happy moment-in-time!

Oh and Mak? Thanks for posting the two cool U2 music-vids above. They are perfectly positioned and in the correct location(s). It's good to have your music back as something I enjoy seeing! Instead of something requiring my to reach for my "fly-swatter" (Adblocker®) to remove!

FREE! FREE! FREE AT LAST! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY! WE'RE FREE AT LAST!
    The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr.

10. Mak the Night

Firefox has always ran well on Ubuntu. I just don't trust Mozilla anymore. Although all the doom and gloom predicted about the XUL transition failed to materialise.

11. Mak the Night

I almost set up early this morning. I was all ready and even ventured outside. Transparency was average and it seemed too cool for any real dripping dew. I could see Orion.

Screenshot 2018-09-25 at 11.05.32.png

Unfortunately a really BRIGHT Moon lit up everything spectacularly. So it wasn't worth it.

12. Mak the Night

What adblocker are you using Dave?

13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Me too, Nebs! If you ever get corned into Windows 10 yourself - expect a container-ship of troubles

I prefer not to think about that too much... we should have 10 soon at the job, probably in the next year. It's sad in life when you have to do something you don't want like that.

14. Mak the Night

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  15. Dave In Vermont

SM browser? Sado~Masochism?

Must be a MicroShaft company...

Does SM work well, Mak? Would you use it?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Nebula likes this.
  16. Mak the Night

It's the old Mozilla Suite, but forked. Extensions are a bit limited these days, and it has many of the same rendering problems Firefox has, but it's OK.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  17. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

SM browser? Sado~Masochism?

Must be a MicroShaft company...

Does SM work well, Mak? Would you use it?

LOL the sado-masochism browser hahahah

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  18. Mak the Night

Had another session on Mars last night between about 19:40 ~ 21:30 BST. I used the 150mm Newtonian. I tried several eyepiece combinations with the GSO 2x Barlow, although none of them reached focus. So I ended up only using 1.25" gear combinations with four basic magnifications:

1/ GSO 9mm Plossl & 2x GSO Barlow ~ 200x

2/ Astro Hutech 4mm orthoscopic ~ 225x

3/ GSO 9mm Plossl & 2.5x GSO Barlow ~ 250x

4/ 3.2mm BST StarGuider ~ 281.25x

marsfilters.jpg

Three filters were used throughout the session: TeleVue Bandmate Planetary, Baader Contrast Booster and Baader Blue 470nm Bandpass.

mars1.png

The phase was quite apparent. The Terra Sirenum, the Icaria (albedo feature) region and Terra Cimeria could be discerned. The small southern polar cap was also visible, especially with the blue filter.

mars.png

There were hints of other dark features near the equator. Images above and below are inverted (Cartes du Ciel & the Virtual Planet Atlas).

TERRA SIRENUM.jpg

The VPA image above has been rotated using GIMP to more accurately portray the angle of observation.

Orion25 likes this.
  19. Mak the Night

Had a brief Mars session last night. The weather ended it prematurely, but I did get to test some filters.

orange yellow baader.jpg

The Baader 495nm Longpass was good but the Orange 570nm Longpass was very good and really showed dark surface features well. Unfortunately the weather didn't give me long enough to properly evaluate it.

Orion25 likes this.
  20. Dave In Vermont

I just examined my #21 Orange and gave it a good blowing and brushing. It's in perfect shape. It's a Hoya from Japan, branded for Orion back around 2001 or 2.

Orion now gets them from China. It's a Synta. I'll take a Hoya anytime.