Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Organizing eyepieces

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Leonard, Mar 5, 2019.

Organizing eyepieces

Started by Leonard on Mar 5, 2019 at 7:18 PM

27 Replies 2617 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got clouded out. I got about five minutes on the Moon. I only have some Meade Plossls and they aren't that old, so maybe they've fixed the problem. There is a connection between Bresser and Meade (Ningbo Sunny?) and it could be that they've switched to M28.5 x 0.6 threads.

1.jpg

I thought I may get another shot at Mercury as it had been bright all day.

2.jpg

I did get to see the Sea of Crises, Endymion and Petavius briefly. The rille in Petavius wasn't really close enough to the terminator to be really well defined.

gso.jpg

I really wanted to try this 32mm GSO Kellner in the ED80. But the clouds came and prematurely ended the session. We had some unseasonably warm and clear weather in February and it's spoilt me a bit. It's a bit cooler now, around nine degrees Celsius. I'm glad you had a good session though.

2. Mak the Night

It's taken some time but I've finally acquired some unborked 20mm eyepieces for my WO bino.

qQVQsZn.jpg

They aren't too dissimilar to the original 66º 20mm WO eyepieces that originally came included with the bino. They are 72º William Optics (Kunming Optical) SWAN's.

0rIJjmJ.jpg

And they fit in my case!

bh2vFzd.jpg

3. Leonard

Leonard Well-Known Member

Congrats. It’s slways nice when u acquire a piece (or in your case pieces) of equipment that you need or badly want. It makes them all the better.

Fitting in the case is just icing on the cake.

4. Mak the Night

Thanks. I have tried various bino pairs over three or four years. The SWAN's are only 100 grammes each and seem pretty good. They're really only for lunar/planetary in the 127mm Mak.

With the three GPC/Barlows I have they will give magnifications of 120x, 150x and 195x. And of course, 75x just on their own.

All I need now is a distinct lack of clouds and 60 kph winds! lol

5. Leonard

Yes. A lack of clouds would be nice. I went out last night, it was nice. Let the scope acclimate. Went back out, it was cloudy.

6. Mak the Night

That's what I like about doublets of around 70mm ~ 100mm, they have negligible cool down times. A 102mm Mak can take up to 45 mins.

TcaPFbn.jpg

I have put stacked eyeguard extenders on the 32mm TV Plossl. It feels as ergonomically comfortable as the 30mm Vixen NPL now.

zFTZfW8.jpg

I tested it on the twilight Moon with the 90mm Mak until ... the clouds came!

7. Leonard

8. Mak the Night

Yeah, I reckon the ED80's acclimated as soon as you get it into the dovetail lol.