Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Orion 2x Shorty

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Pleiades, Jun 19, 2018.

Orion 2x Shorty

Started by Pleiades on Jun 19, 2018 at 3:07 AM

18 Replies 1119 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

Before tonight, I have never really used my Orion 2x Shorty Barlow before. Tonight however, I found my best view of Mars with my (GSO 20mm Plossl, paired with my Orion 2x-shorty, and a blue GSO 82A Filter { XT6} )

It was a great night, and Saturn was breathtaking. However, I begin to wonder. My Orion 2x shorty seems just fine, but it is the one that was included along with my XT6 scope. Is it as good as any, or would I benefit from an upgrade? It did great, mind you. I really enjoyed using it paired with my 20mm over trying to peep through the tiny hole of the 9mm GSO.

I’ll certainly save the 9mm and 6mm’s for the moon.

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I hate sounding like an elitist snob, but the only Barlow that I use is a TeleVue® 2X and/or 3X or a PowerMate. Usually. I've got little tolerance with lesser Barlows as they tend to dim the view, and lessen contrast. From a TV Barlow - the only direction you can go is down. Money-wise, the TV's don't cost all that much more.

For some rare applications, I use the lens-cell from the Orion Shorty for 1.5X. And a GSO 3-element 5X.

Pleiades likes this.
  3. Pleiades

I didn't realize this was an option. I'll have to try this. This was an odd, but still awesome morning out. There was a seriously large wolf spider that joined out planetary viewing session. This made the 2x a more viable option, because he was by my EP case, and I was trying not to scream like a girl. The 2x on the other hand was close by and not near this Klingon spider. Silly I know. I'm a 240-lb, 6' mini-gorilla and i'm terrified of a 3" spider. But when the spider is bigger than my eyepiece. Yikes. The 2x seemed a much better way to go.

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that the extra eye relief was really nice. So I started thinking about getting a better 2x, or anther BST. But then I noticed that Agena is out of stock on both the 8mm and 9mm EP's for BST.

4. Pleiades

5. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

IMG_20180320_003709.jpg

I can get these for about £30 ($40) here as 'Revelation Astro'. Although mine is a TS Optics badged one. It's very good for the money.

6. Dave In Vermont

In case you, or someone else, arn't quite clear on this: Your Orion Shortys' lens-cell simply unscrews and voila! You have a 1.5 - 1.6X Barlow cell that can be screwed into most 1.25" eyepieces and filters.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Pleiades likes this.
  7. Pleiades

I am certainly going to try this. This will come in handy with the perpetual planet parade that is going on now.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  8. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

Unless you are seeing distortion in the Orion barlow, you are not likely to see much if any improvement with an upgrade. Barlows are fairly simple devices.

My 1.25" barlow was purchased on e-bay for $11. Works great. And I can pull the cell off and attach it to the eyepiece for 1.5X

My 2" is a GSO barlow. Works Great. Can do the same trick with the barlow lens for 2" eyepieces.

Pleiades likes this.
  9. Mak the Night

They aren't always that simple. Some have three or four elements, often air spaced.

Pleiades likes this.
  10. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

11. Mak the Night

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  12. Dave In Vermont

A true Barlow-Nut! :p

13. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

Well then, when can we expect and updated and expanded report?

14. Mak the Night

15. sickfish

sickfish Well-Known Member

The Shorty is the only one I have.
    I really never use it, it actually is in the case with my Mallincam
    I have enough EPs to run the gauntlet from 35 to 5.5

16. Dave In Vermont

I have quite a few - but Mak is the undisputed 'Barlow-Nut' here. I, too, rarely use them. When they first arrived (one-by-one), I'd give them a try and commit the results to memory. Then - like you - they'd land up in "The Case" for that ol' 'someday' pest to come a-knockin' on the metaphorical door.

At present, I've actually found a new experiment for one o' them -

I, like a good many here, have an ST80 F/5 achromatic refractor. This great & inexpensive (out-of-box new price) little scope is wonderful 'grab-n'-go' telescope that excels as a wide-field scope perfectly suited for viewing things like the star-fields running through Cygnus and Ophiuchus, but for close-up views of the planets and Moon, not so much. So Mak jostled my mind into reminding me that I have a GSO 3-element 5X Barlow. And his using it with his ST80 for Solar-System objects using high-power. So thats' caused me to blow away the dust on the box of the 5X and gear-up to try this:

ST80 FL = 400mm at F/5.

400mm / 10mm = 40X

40 X 5 = 200X

ST80 Club T-Shirt a (PNG).png

So my ST80 had Kittens!

17. Mak the Night

At 60x per inch (60 x 3.15) the ST80 should push 189x, so 200x isn't out of the realms of impossibility.

I'm gonna have to brush the cobwebs off my 10mm Baader Eudiascopic!

Basically the 5x Barlow gives the ST80 an f/l of 2000mm and makes it f/25. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  18. Dave In Vermont

Ay yup! That she does...

I was recently reading an articlle by a person who said these ST80's can be pushed upwards in magnification quite readily and won't lose contrast and clarity as is widely presumed. People think it will, so they just assume it's so and never bother trying themselves.

So.....

Experiment! Experiment! Experiment!

His Imperial Redundancy,

evaD

19. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I've been using the Orion Shorty 2x Barlow for years and have been pleased with the views for the most part. I do notice the slightest bit of CA near the edges with very bright objects (e.g., the moon, Venus) but it's not horrible. I use it occasionally, mainly with my reflector to bump up the magnification. I even use it with my Maks for up-close-and-personal planetary and lunar probing and to preserve eye relief. I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. I'd probably buy a new filter before a new barlow, but I could see myself eventually getting a 3x or 5x multi-element barlow at some point for imaging.