Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Orion Nebula - 01/05/2022

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Jan 7, 2022.

Orion Nebula - 01/05/2022

Started by Ed D on Jan 7, 2022 at 1:37 PM

3 Replies 858 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I did a series of images to test the range of ISO values and exposure times to zero in on the ideal settings for my equipment: Canon T3i unmodified camera, Celestron CG-4 mount with RA motor. Because I don't have guiding, my exposure time limit is 30 seconds. At greater than 30 seconds I start getting elongated stars in my images. I also found that my ideal settings are ISO 400 and ISO 800. Lower ISO values require too much exposure time, and higher values introduce image noise. This is a screen shot of the eight good images and the folders containing the experiment images:

IMG_0310.jpg

Just for fun, I decided to stack the eight test images: ISO 400 @ 15/20/25/30 sec and ISO 800 15/20/25/30 sec. I used RegiStax 6 to stack the images. The output image was in TIFF format. I used GIMP to adjust the contrast and intensity, and also to save them in JPEG format. This first image is very subtly processed, not much different than the output image:

M42 2022 01-05 Reprocessed Subtle.jpg
    Orion Nebula 01-05-2022 lightly processed image

I this next image I did more intense adjustment, bringing out a lot of the H-Alpha at the expense of blowing out the Trapezium:

M42 2022 01-05 Reprocessed Blown Out.jpg
    Orion Nebula 01-05-2022 more processed image.

I think I'm on to something here. It seems that by taking single frames at various ISO and exposure values and stacking them, I'm capturing a much greater variety of data than when I was taking many exposures at the same settings. The more processed image has good contrast and detail, and shows more features than I have been able to get so far.

It's not time consuming at all to take a variety of single images at various settings. Likewise, it's not a big deal to stack a few images, eight in this case, and then do simple processing. I'm not sure which of these two images I like more, but I do like them both.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

As I was proof-reading my post, I noticed a couple of things about the images I forgot to mention. First is the lack of bloated stars. In images taken during the past few days I have gotten light to heavily bloated stars. The second thing I noticed is the lack of hot pixels. In some of the individual exposures there are red and blue hot pixels that do not appear in the stacked output image.

Ed D

3. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Nice work, Ed. That's an interesting idea of stacking images at various settings. I like both images for different reasons. I love the subtlety of the first image with the Trapezium visible, and I also love the fabulous nebulosity apparent in the second image. I did another round of single exposures the other night. I may them in a day or so. Still couldn't quite replicate my 2020 image but came close.

Ed D likes this.
  4. stepping beyond

stepping beyond Well-Known Member

Ed , that's marvelous work you've done on m42 . KUDOS !

Ed D likes this.