Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Public viewing spots

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Pleiades, Sep 13, 2017.

Public viewing spots

Started by Pleiades on Sep 13, 2017 at 7:12 AM

3 Replies 592 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

My house is under contract, and we will likely rent for a year. This means, I'll loose my beloved field on the hill top for astronomy. Where do people go to set up a scope? I've got my eye on a little league county baseball park. Not sure about how the local PD will feel about that.

2. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

I find in smaller towns if there is a local police station/ sherrif I let them know that I will be viewing in the area.
    Small town airports are usually good places to view. Most have a service road that go along the ends of the runways and for visual reasons are unlit so a nice dark location.
    If there is a night manager at the airport I will stop and introduce myself and tell them what I am doing to alleviate any problems.
    Cemetery parking lots are also another usually dark location that get overlooked :)

Pleiades likes this.
  3. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

Ha!! Cemetery. I've seriously thought about that, and I'm not superstitious. I just don't want some restless board soul to make me superstitious. LOL!

Gabby76 likes this.
  4. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

They may want to take a look also!
    Depending how far it is to get to a rural area, I have set up on the entrance ramp into farmers fields many times.
    You can usually find some quite dark locations with no traffic at night.