Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Say Hello to My Little Friend

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Ed D, Feb 7, 2022.

Say Hello to My Little Friend

Started by Ed D on Feb 7, 2022 at 9:05 AM

32 Replies 3995 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

If you remember the final scene from the movie Scar Face, Tony Montana tells the Columbian hit squad "Say hello to my little friend", as he fires a grenade from his grenade launcher equipped M-16. No, I didn't get a 'Montana Special'. This is my new little friend:

IMG_0347.jpg
    It can't launch grenades, but, man, can it shoot!

I used to have an AT72ED which I bought when they first came out. I really wanted the older AT66, but ended up with the then newer 72mm ED scope. While I liked the AT72ED and shot many images with it, I always felt that it was a bit bigger and heavier than what I wanted. A few years ago I downsized my stable, keeping only three scopes: TV-85, 150mm Mak, and 10" Dob.

I have been out of astronomy, and just about everything else for the past couple of years. Late last year I got back into imaging and some observing. Have you ever lived to regret selling something you didn't realize you loved so much until it was gone? You guessed it, I missed my AT72ED and have been kicking myself in the rear for selling it. (I have no regrets selling the other scopes and gear.)

Recently, I have been imaging Orion and other deep sky goodies with my DSLR. The TV-85 with 0.8x reducer/field flattener gave me good images, but I wanted wider fields. My camera lenses are OK, especially the 55-250mm Kit Lens, but they can be a pain to use and have their limits. I kept wanting something that gave me wider fields than the TV-85. For months I have been looking at Canon/Samyang/Rokinon lenses, but couldn't decide on one. I kept looking at the AT60ED, but the cost was out of my budget. The Rokinon 135mm or 85mm prime focus lenses that are widely recommended for astrophotography can be had used for much less than the AT60ED. I almost jumped on one.

Good fortune smiled down on me, and I found myself with some excess disposable cash - very rare these days. Not only that, but the AT60ED scopes that were out of stock for so long at Astronomics were now in stock. Well, nobody had to twist my arm behind my back. Three days later, the box you see in the picture showed up at my house.

What a nice little scope. The first thing I thought when I opened the box is how cute this little thing is. It is a purpose built imaging scope. For the past week I have been trying it out and figuring out how to best fit it into my imaging life. The day I received it I shot the Orion Nebula to test the scope, using the ATR8 focal reducer/field flattener.

M42 JPEG.jpg

This was a quick setup and test, without trying to produce an 'award winning' image. I wish you could see the above image full size. It blew me away how sharp, contrasty and detailed the image was. I also like the size of the field and how it includes the star clusters in the Sword, as well as other stars in the field.

Last night I imaged M42 again, this time to adjust my field flattener distance to the sensor. Without the field flattener the images looked like they were taken from the star ship Enterprise, Next Generation, just as it was about to go into warp; the stars elongated from the edges to the center. I read one post online that said a 3mm spacer between the ATR8 and the T-adapter got rid of the field curvature, the poster using a Canon T3i like mine. I used a spacer (a T-2 lock ring I had in my junk box) measuring 2.7mm thick. I took images last night without the reducer/flattener, with the flattener, and the flattener with the spacer. At 2.7mm I only have a little bit of curvature around the corners of the image. I can only see it in the full image on my screen.

16bit TIFF with ATR8 and Spacer GIMP.jpg

That's good enough for me, especially being a retired government employee. I can crop slightly if I want a perfectly flat field. I can't see it in these images I'm posting.

One thing I like about this little scope is that it has a Vixen-style finder shoe where I can mount my green laser finder. It's much easier to put the scope on target compared to camera lenses.

The light gathering of the 60mm objective is way better than the kit lenses I have been using. Three days ago I was playing around with dithering and took this image of M45, the Pleiades.

Pleiades.jpg

This is an unprocessed image, but you can tell I captured a bit of nebulosity around the stars Merope and Maia. Keep in mind I'm imaging a reflection nebula from a severe Bortle 9 White zone, so it's not going to look like images taken from darker locations.

Can you tell I like my new little friend? I'm going to be trying emission nebulae other than M42, and maybe some clusters and star fields soon.

Ed D

Nebula, Orion25 and Mak the Night like this.
  2. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

And here's my little mate!

[​IMG]

Looks suspiciously like yours Ed. They must be twins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've experimented with different rings but ended up going back to the original long dovetail.

[​IMG]

This helps greatly with balance on the AZ5.

[​IMG]

I'm strictly visual, but the glass is superb and it has a really good Strehl.

[​IMG]

Nebula, Orion25 and Ed D like this.
  3. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Very nice scope, Mak. I visually star tested my scope and could not find any aberrations other than a little bit of undercorrection. The in-focus fresnel pattern was a perfect bull's eye. I agree that for astronomy a long Vixen style dovetail bar can make life much, much easier. This little thing was definitely well thought out as a travel and imaging scope.

Ed

Mak the Night likes this.
  4. Mak the Night

I'm not sure who makes these scopes, my guess would be JRX (Jiaxing Rui Xing Optical Instrument Co., Ltd). I've seen them under a variety of names and liveries. I bought mine last February and I'm still impressed with it. The long Vixen-type bar was originally an option from Altair Astro as the OTA is a little rear-heavy.

5. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Wow, what a great friend! You'll have many enjoyable nights with that one :)

Ed D likes this.
  6. Orion25

Stellar set-up, Mak! ;)

7. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thank you, Reggie. I finally found where the Rosette Nebula is in the sky, no easy task where I'm located. If all goes well, I should be imaging the Rosette in Ha tonight with my 'little friend', and maybe my dog will keep me company, too. She likes the cool weather that's moving in.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  8. Mak the Night

Cheers, it is a ridiculously cute scope lol.

9. Orion25

Gorgeous!

10. Mak the Night

1.jpeg

Definitely photogenic.

2.jpeg

Orion25 likes this.
  11. Orion25

Oh, I forgot to say hello! Hi, AT!:p Looking good!

12. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW BAG

No, not the James Brown hit from 1965. This:

IMG_0350.jpg

It's a Cabela's Catch-All Gear Bag. Here's the link to it:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-catch-all-gear-bag?lcab.rdr=TRUE&slotId=2

I read about it in a Cloudy Nights thread from 2017, credit going to CN member Crow Haven for the contribution:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/598162-at60ed-case-options/

The foam inserts the scope was packaged in fit perfectly, like they were made for one another:

IMG_0351.jpg

The top half of the insert is easy enough to get in and out. The scope rides snug and well protected from reasonable bumps.

The bag also has a large pocket at each end that can store a 2" diagonal, eyepieces, etc. My Sky and Telescope Pocket Star Atlas fits in the front pocket, and there are pockets on the lid for more papers or small items. Finally, the bag comes with a nice shoulder strap that clips on/off.

It's very well made, and best of all, it was under $20 USD shipped to my door. Can't beat that!

Now, click on the You Tube link at the top and enjoy the oldie but goodie. :)

Ed

Attached Files:

Mak the Night and Orion25 like this.
  13. Orion25

Nice! James Brown would be proud;)

Ed D likes this.
  14. Mak the Night

I've decided to go 1.25" TV accessories and short dovetail.

littlemate.jpg

Predominantly for weight and balance reasons.

Orion25 likes this.
  15. Orion25

That's HOT! :D

Mak the Night likes this.
  16. Mak the Night

Thanks. I gave it a whirl tonight, but clouds came to spoil my fun :(.

I did split Izar though with a 5x Powermate and the 16mm T5 Nagler. :cool:

Orion25 likes this.
  17. Mak the Night

After a lot of experimentation I've gone back with the AZ5 mount/tripod.

1.jpg

The light short red dovetail bar has altered the balance but I can use light 1.25" accessories.

2.jpg

The Tele Vue 1.25" adapter is lightweight and well made.

3.jpg

With a Tele Vue diagonal I can use a variety of eyepieces giving me a decent range of magnifications.

4.jpg

The TV 5x Powermate essentially turns the Tichy Sixty into an f/30 refractor.

Orion25 likes this.
  18. Mak the Night

Minimalist set-up.

OXBOMwK.jpeg

Ed D and Orion25 like this.
  19. Mak the Night

Lunar viewing lightweight configuration:

titchyL.jpg

Orion25 likes this.
  20. Mak the Night