Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Show us your log book(s)!

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Nebula, Aug 4, 2018.

Show us your log book(s)!

Started by Nebula on Aug 4, 2018 at 1:11 PM

6 Replies 164 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I decided to start this new thread about log books, on various forums they all have a show us your: frac, mak, tak, newt, eyepiece case, etc but I don't recall a show us your log book.

So we have it here now on Astronomy Connect, to publish a few images!

Because the log book contains the memories of a lifetime of astronomy :)

So this my 2.5" binder with separate template sheets instead of a book. My first report is from April 2016 (but i started astronomy in 2015) and I have 111 pages of 8.5"x11 individual sheet now in 2018-08-04.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for watching!

Scopejunkie likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

That's a great 'new one' for people to ponder! Cool!

Thanks!

3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Yeah, why not, perhaps this will work, these threads are usually popular.

4. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Active Member

Nice and neat. I like it! Keep up the good work. It will become "gold" with time. Here is my first log entry 12 Dec 1989. I remember when I started making log entries and wondered if this was just another astro fad for me. Man, did the years fly by! My log has improved over the years using different templates as software improved.

I remember using a software program for my log entries. One computer crash (darn Microsoft DOS!) cured me of using an "electric" log. I didn't realize it then but there is something very special about a hard copy log. You can even watch your hand writing change over the years. You also get to remember things like the time when you had one too many beers during an "obsewrvingz" session.

Tons of telescopes, eyepieces and telescope experiments went under that bridge. I still write in my log book. I'm up to three full size notebooks now. I also enjoy going through my log books when it's raining. Lots of great astro memories. Some bring a "warm and fuzzy" smile to my face on a cold winters day. Others remind me of some of my telescope frustrations and "optics wars." All good!

Attached Files:

5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

You, Nebs, are a genius! Why, you ask, do I think so? I'll stammer my list for you:

1.) You are doing & working on projects (threads) with an agenda to create a a semi-hidden agenda (draw new members to join.).

2.) The above reason, you are demonstrating a progressive pattern of thinking and purpose.

3.) The above reason is demonstrative of recognition that reactionary (angered) methodology is "being your own worst enemy."

4.) Knowledge that "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" shows that you have the ability to think (reason) on more levels at once is a very high achievement.

Keep 'em coming!

Hey Mak? How's about cobbling a medal for 'Intellectualism In a World of Darkness' or such for Nebs?

D.

6. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

My observing reports are kept in a discussion thread on Cloudy nights and in a Word document that is a copy of those posts.
    A Newbies Observation log – come join me – Cloudy Nights
    http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/505764-a-newbies-early-observation-log-join-me/

I don't shoot photos and my sketches are only there to support the writing of my observing reports. They are not worth much.

I do the notes on a blank page sketching spiral. I will keep it but the observing reports are electronic.

Scopejunkie and Nebula like this.
  7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Thanks for your participation in this thread Aeajr :) I'll go have a look at your thread on CN.

I have one here myself, the Nebula's Astronomy Den but it's a copy of my paper log. I do things the other way around a bit.