Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSkyBlue">Need Feedback Site Performance

Discussion in 'AstronomyConnect Feedback and Suggestions' started by george, Aug 16, 2016.

Site Performance

Started by george on Aug 16, 2016 at 7:20 AM

16 Replies 3541 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. george

george Developer

I was curious as to what kinda of experience others are having with Astronomy Connect in terms of site load and relative responsiveness. Has anybody experienced outages or site sluggishness?

Let me know in the comments below I would love to hear what others have to say.

2. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

I have not seen any issues. It is not very busy.

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

All clear here - nothing to write home about.

Dave

4. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

The site certainly isn't slow.

5. george

george Developer

Do people venture off into other sections such as Reviews and Database if so how has the speed been in those sections? I ask because The Reviews and Database areas operate on a completely different platform then the XenForo forum system. Xenforo in general is pretty optimized but everything else outside of Xenforo is custom development.

6. Mak the Night

I'm finding the page loading throbber (Firefox 48.0.1, Win 7) isn't stopping until after a few minutes at the moment (22:49 British Summer Time) when I'm in the site. Although the page seems to have loaded OK.

throbber1.jpg

Could be a Firefox thing, of course.

7. george

george Developer

Yea that may be a 3rd party widget that is still loading, such as one of the facebook, twitter, or google+ buttons at the bottom of the page. Or even the Amazon widget as well. Those load times are beyond our control other than delaying the loading all together to trigger after the page is complete. Which will stop the loading icon. Other than that it shouldn't affect the rest of the page. Do people actually use those share this page functions? To me personally I don't use them and any 3rd party widget that is added only increases the overall load time.

8. Mak the Night

It seems fine now anyway. Although it stands a good chance one of the widgets was responsible. Some add ons can block them but usually end up breaking the page completely lol.

9. Dave In Vermont

I'm not having any difficulties on this site whatsoever. But Firefox is crashing all over the web - in places where there was never any problems whatsoever. When this happens, I try the site with MSN's IE11. And it will be fine. I smell a MSN ratus ratus.

After all the sneaky and underhanded stunts MSN pulled as of late to shove Windoze 10 down our throats - nothing would surprise me. Such is why I am now asking anyone have problems loading/using any site: "What browser are you using?" 9 out of 10 - it's not MSN. But the problems miraculously vanished when I suggest the use IE11 on the site-in-question.

Ack!

Dave

10. Mak the Night

It's become a standard joke now that it's best to wait for the .0.1 version bug fix of any Firefox upgrade lol.

11. Dave In Vermont

Sounds like the old "Update" from MicroSoft - it would be updated on Tuesday. Then come Thursday, the fix would be released to fix what the "Update" broke in your computers! :eek: :p

Sadly enough - it was utterly true!

Dave

12. Mak the Night

Don't get me started about MS & 'Bork Tuesday' lol!

13. Mak the Night

I think it's Mozilla's new Electrolysis background process system that's being slowly introduced that's the culprit. I've gone back to Maxthon!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  14. Dave In Vermont

Okay Houston - we have a problem:

I was trying to post and was given this:

The following error occurred:
    An exception occurred: No such file or directory in /home/astrono/public_html/astronomyconnect/public/forums/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php on line 333

1. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 315
    2. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection() in XenForo/Application.php at line 730
    3. XenForo_Application->loadDb()
    4. call_user_func_array() in XenForo/Application.php at line 973
    5. XenForo_Application->lazyLoad() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1004
    6. XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 1609
    7. XenForo_Application::getDb() in XenForo/Model.php at line 161
    8. XenForo_Model->_getDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 138
    9. XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->_getMultiFromDb() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 97
    10. XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->getMulti() in XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php at line 147
    11. XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 127
    12. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/astrono/public_html/astronomyconnect/public/forums/index.php at line 13

Hmmm...

Dave

15. george

george Developer

That is a particularly odd one because normally something like that would show up in the admin logs of Xenforo. It looks like the database went down, it must have not been for very long because if it did I would get notifications within 5min. I'll have to dig into the logs to see specifically what happened.

This happened when you tried to post? Which page was it on?

-George

16. george

george Developer

Yea looking at the logs right off the bat it looks like the mysql server was down for about 2.5 minutes a little over an hour and half ago.

Any critical services are automatically restarted if they happen to go down without user intervention that includes php, litespeed, mysql, memcache, and redis.

17. Dave In Vermont