Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

small reflector.

Discussion in 'Telescopes and Mounts' started by kevan hubbard, Jun 28, 2018.

small reflector.

Started by kevan hubbard on Jun 28, 2018 at 1:41 PM

1 Replies 846 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I'd often wanted an Edmundson scientific ball reflector. They're generally red and I'm guessing about a 4" mirror?however I saw one in a shop a few years back. Spent a day thinking about buying it,a mistake because it'd gone when I went back!however I spotted the sky watcher infinity 76 reflector which is similar but generally blue and a 76mm/3" mirror.I think that they aimed at children? I bought one of these.it uses a 30x eye piece of a bespoke design so sadly you can't interchange it with 1.25" regular eye pieces. The 30x eye piece is correct image and probably far too powerful for the scope and low quality. I managed to rig it up with a possil,25mm,and to produced some pretty decent images,guessing it was giving about 18x magnification? It's a shame that sky watcher could fit them up to take regular eye pieces and you'd have a fairly decent 'grab and go'wide field telescope.

2. Auriga

Auriga Active Member

It seems small reflectors aren't too popular among serious stargazers so sub-6" offerings are questionable. Consensus seems to be that this aperture range is the domain of refractors. However, I have a 4.5" StarBlast that I like a lot and would usually prefer over any comparably sized refractor. I managed to get a rare 1.25" coma corrector, which probably helps. Lowest useful power I find is 28x (4mm exit pupil). With 18mm 82° eyepiece I can get almost 3° TFoV. I tend to think of this scope as a compact version my 100mm F/9 ED refractor. At some point I will compare them.