Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Solar Eclipse Event - Molloy College

Discussion in 'Star Parties, Clubs, and Outreach Events' started by aeajr, Aug 17, 2017.

Solar Eclipse Event - Molloy College

Started by aeajr on Aug 17, 2017 at 1:05 PM

5 Replies 1526 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

On Monday I will be at Molloy College on Long Island, East of NYC, along with the President of our astronomy club. The two of us will be setting up 4 telescopes. The College is having an event that day of which this is part. They are expecting 200 people at the event. We don't know how many will come to see the 72% eclipse through our telescopes. It should be interesting.

I will have my ETX 80 and ETX 125 scopes set up. Have done test set-ups for tracking where I can't see any alignment stars during the Goto set-up. Tracking works fine. And, of course I will have solar filters on both.

Testing with my ETX 80 showed me that around 20X to 35X is the best magnification to target for the Eclipse. I have an 18 mm eyepiece that gives me 22X in the ETX 80 so that is what I will use there.

For the ETX 125, this is an F15 1900 mm Mak. With a 32 mm Plossl I am at 60X. That is too high for the eclipse so I figured I could not use it. Then I recalled that I have a .5 focal reducer in my RI2 kit. So I should be able to use that with the ETX 125 to get that 60X down to 30X which would work well for the eclipse.

I plan to try the RI2 in the ETX 80 this weekend but since I have the focal reducer on the ETX 125 I am not sure how well this will work. Worth a try.

I was looking for some kind of group event for the Eclipse but so many people have traveled out of town to be in the total area that nothing was happening at my club or the other club in the area. So when I received the invite from the President to help at the College I was happy to accept.

Hope you all have some sort of special something for the Eclipse, whether you will be in the total zone or not.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Zigarro and Orion25 like this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Ed, it's great to hear that you are doing something really worthwhile for the community. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself immensely. Hope you capture some nice images with your camera, and don't forget to post them in the imaging forum.

I'm all set with my equipment, right down to the Sharpie marks on the concrete to set up my GEM. I have done several test runs. Now I just hope I have clear enough skies.

Ed D

3. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

What % will you get in Florida?

4. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

Nothing too special here. We'll have 78% so a friend and I will be on the lake fishing until the peak which should be at 1pm.

5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

If anyone wishes to plug in their location and see what you'll have there:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/@4460364

As for myself, I'll be out on my lawn next to the roadways, with my solar-dedicated ST80 and a Rainbow-Symphony solar-filter - which gives a nice, soothing orange-colored Sun. And a few EP's - but I'll likely stay with my Vixen LV 8 - 24mm Zoom. And anyone who cares to stop by, I'll be more than happy to entertain them with my madness! :D

Enjoy all and....CHECK FILTER TWICE!! NO MARGIN FOR ERROR!!

Dave

index.png

6. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Around 78% - should be a pretty good show, even without totality.

Ed D