Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Space Mining

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Seer, Nov 23, 2018.

Space Mining

Started by Seer on Nov 23, 2018 at 11:03 AM

6 Replies 162 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
Tags:
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

There is all kind of things that we can think and talk about here like helium-3 mining on the moon, Mining asteroids and so on.
    Lately I have been thinking about the uses for neutronium and how to go about mining it.

2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I like the thought of asteroids being used as easily ready made space stations and ships. Excavate your tunnels, slap on an engine and BA-DA-BOOM, BA-DA-BING, FORGET ABOUT IT! Ya know what I'm sayin?
    Humans are very good at tunneling. Here in Johnstown where I am at I think is a important part of that history. They were so good at tunneling that they found out that is was easier and cheaper to bring the coal to the mill underground rather then above ground.

3. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I just watched this. It helped with answering some of my questions about lava tubes. Now I'll have to see if I could locate that place on my moon map.

4. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Could neutronium reflex gamma rays?
    This morning I am learning about the stumbling blocks in creating antimatter propulsion.
    Wouldn't gamma ray propulsion be the most deadly pollutant?

5. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

The video I was watching went on to say something about using charged particles in stead of gamma rays.

6. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Helium 3 is a possible fuel for space craft.im not sure how it works but I think that they refine it and use it to power spaceship engines.they think that the moon has a lot of helium 3.youd have to dig into the moon to live there but it's a stepping stone to Mars,sort of not that its any closer than Earth but it's low gravity would make launching space craft easier.

Seer likes this.
  7. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Looks like the moon is going to be an important first step for a lot of things. It should get the first space elevator. The far side should get radio telescopes and propelling lasers. We can mine it for fuel and water. A Chinese mission launching tomorrow is going to do a gardening test.
    I just found out that the moon has a tail and I'm waiting to see and hear more about that.