Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Spacesuit Design

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Seer, Dec 16, 2018.

Spacesuit Design

Started by Seer on Dec 16, 2018 at 4:30 AM

5 Replies 203 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I was watching The New Frontier on Netflix last night and in part of it they were showing about new spacesuits. It got me to thinking about and seriously criticizing them. We humans need direct access to certain parts of our bodies that their spacesuits don't look like they allow. What if you have to rub your eye? What if your nose itches? What if you sneeze? What if you have to blow your nose? What if you vomit? I think that most of if not all of these problems could be solved if the spacesuits had internal dexterity. Being able to retract your arms into the spacesuit would allow you to attend to a lot of things. It seems like something that could be easily done and may not even add bulk.

2. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

These issues have been known about since they have started making suits and pretty much all of them have happened also :)
    There have been some designs concepts that let the wearer sit inside with the arms / legs be used remotely though of course the size would be much larger.

Seer likes this.
  3. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I still think it could be done without adding much more bulk.
    The interior arm movement would be cramped but possible.

4. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

Put on a winter parka and do it up, now try to take your arms out without undoing it :)

5. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

A winter parka isn't made for doing that but probably could be as well as a space suit.

6. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

That just got me thinking about magicians and straight jackets. There may be something useful there.
    I think it will probably have something more to do with design and materials. The best and maybe the only way the early ones could be done would be for specific individuals