Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Spreading Disease Via The Eyepiece

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Seer, Nov 21, 2018.

Spreading Disease Via The Eyepiece

Started by Seer on Nov 21, 2018 at 6:48 PM

2 Replies 848 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
?

Do you think it is possible to spread diseases by sharing an eyepiece?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. Uncertain

25.0%
  1. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

This is something that has been on my mind for a long time. Is it possible to spread disease by sharing an eyepiece? I volunteer at a nursing home and it seems like I get pink eye most years (I think a few times more then once in a year). I am leaning toward the affirmative answer myself. I am appalled at the thought of someone coming up to me while I'm observing and asking to have a look especially with the types of people around here. I don't just think about pink eye I'm also concerned about other diseases like aids and hepatitis and so forth. Thank God that we have already started getting rid of some unsanitary practices like bobbing for apples is now a thing of the past and more and more people are getting away from handshaking (disease & security). I am very surprised that I haven't seen this issue presented anywhere yet.

2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

No one has voted yet.
    OK I'll be the first one to vote.
    I am going to vote Yes that I think it's possible to spread disease by sharing an eyepiece because I seen and heard a few times that one of the things that dirties eyepieces is oil from eyelashes so bodily fluids are being deposited and probably picked up. With some eyepieces you have to put your eyeball very close to it so I wonder if at times it touches it.

3. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

The only way you "might" get something from an eyepiece is if a person had a serious eye infection which would most likely be very visible anyways.
    I have never heard of this happening before so personally I think you are worrying to much about it.

Seer likes this.