Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Star destination

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Nebula, Jul 2, 2017.

Star destination

Started by Nebula on Jul 2, 2017 at 9:53 AM

27 Replies 5145 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I have this question I ask myself sometimes and it's a good one.

If you could have the choice to go visit a certain constellation with a technological spaceship but you can only choose 1 destination to visit, 1 constellation, which one would you pick and why?

Where to?
    [​IMG]

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

As a constellation is a visual-pattern of stars as seen from our very narrow slit of visible-sky, you'd need a computer (or a damn good stenographer) to take down distances in L.Y.s of all the stars in all the constellations, and factor in the distances of all the other stars from the stars to each other from that star. Then calculate which constellation's stars would incorporate the greatest amount of the known universe within our Milky Way galaxy. And I'd choose that constellation. Why?

In order to be able to explore the most wide swath of our galaxy - given the limited choices presented by your parameters.

Put that in your pipe & torch it! Now what's your answer?

evaD

i-want-to-believe-poster.jpg

3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Yeah that's the kind of spaceship ! ((:)

But there is no need for a super computer, the constellation is only a direction, eventually the goal is to go to an objects in that direction, if one object is 1 ly away and the other is 100 ly, it's irrelevant, it's a fantasy imagination exercise.

Something like: I would go in the direction of Orion to look around the great nebula or I want to explore around Rigel.

But anyways there would be a super computer inside the flying saucer, to map the objects from the constellation, has seen from earth! To help us let's say...

(I don't want to ask too much from a scientific community either ;) (there is no science here))

4. Dave In Vermont

'No science here?' Did Trump sneeze on you in a crowded elevator? :p

I comprehend your 'direction' statement. But I'm also taking into consideration regards how distant could these stars in, say Orion, be from each other? Both time & space. So as to be able to transverse the most time & space in the act of bouncing one-to-another. In simpler terms: I want to get as far away as possible within your parameters. "Let me outta here!" :eek:

Quite right about no need for a 'super-computer.' They flew the Apollo Missions to the Moon and back - even Apollo 13 - with about as much raw computer-power as a Radio Shack pocket-calculator. I just want the computer-power to avoid needing to cut-down a forest to make enough paper for all my calculations by long-hand that I'd crumple-up and throw over my shoulder! :D If you like this - oh Boy! Do I ever have a good 'math-weapon' for you to know & tuck-away for just the perfect victim(s)! I'll go figure out a way to send same over this machine...

Clear-ish skies here. Gotta run! Get my tarp ready for the Hurricane! I'm coming Maksutov! I hear you!

Dave

5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Yes yes there is science here, it's a science enthusiastic forum. But my question isn't about science but a feeling, it's only an imagination exercise to float around. A trip to the unknown.

====================
    Ahhhhhh I would like so much to talk about politics, but this forum is based in California, it's dangerous for the safety of my kernel. Ill just say this, President Trump, is shaking things up right now and it's going to produce extreme changes in the US. Changes that the left wing will appreciate I truly believe.

This is a fast track clash for social evolution.

Zigarro likes this.
  6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

man... this thread is a complete and utter failure... lol

[​IMG]
    "Oh common!! it's supposed to be fuaaannn"

Zigarro and Dave In Vermont like this.
  7. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

I figure I'd pick Orion as well; so very much to see close up that I've dreamed of through an eyepiece, especially Betlegeuse
    when it goes!

8. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I thought constellations were an illusion created by parallax.

beetlejuice.jpg

According to Celestia, this is what Alpha Orionis (Beetlejuice) looks like close up lol.

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Zigarro, Betelgeuse totally, I am attracted to that star too! great direction :)

Mak the Night the constellation it's just to help us pointing a general direction from earth to a specific object.

Zigarro likes this.
  10. Mak the Night

zodiac0.jpg
    The constellations get a bit bent out of shape when seen from outside the galaxy lol.

zodiac1.jpg

11. Dave In Vermont

That IS lovely! Must be the "Bug-On-A-Windsheild" constellation in M31.

evaD

12. Mak the Night

LOL!

13. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I'd opt for proxima centauri as it's close.mind,given faster than light travel, wouldn't we have to send robotic surveying probes to check out if there's anywhere there for humans to live?even then how do you survey a whole star system? We still don't know if we have a planet 9 in our syestem(excluding demoted Pluto) and we live in the thing!I suppose we'd, depending on the star type,check out the goldilocks zone first even that would be huge.it'd take millions of probes dropped through, wormholes, folded space, hyperspace,insert the chosen sci fi method of travel!the vastness of space boggles the mind even in star systems.some debate if voyager 2 and pioneer 11 have actually punched through the suns heliopause yet,and I was watching kojak when they set out!

14. Mak the Night

I always suspected Terry Saveloy was an extraterrestrial.

How could a police lieutenant afford such expensive suits? What was with the lollipops?

15. Dave In Vermont

Here's the latest article (today's) on 'Planet 9' from Universe Today online. I turn them into pdf's for ease in filing and sending. 'Read' or 'Save' below.

Evidence Mounts for the Existence of Planet Nine.pdf

Scanned for malware and virus - clean says Kaspersky's etal.

The more we find out about Trappist planets and such as about Proxima Centauri, the less likely viable for life by our understanding of it they are. Bathed in radiation and baking hot or frozen-solid. If we did find life, we'd probably bring them to Earth - and eat them! We're the fun-loving fellahs' from the Twilight Zone episode with the book "How To Serve Man."*

I'll go away now...

evaD

* Been watching the news today - Kojak is probably less toxic. Pass the Tootsie-Pops.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  16. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

Why Pleiades of course. , So my answer would be Taurus.

17. Mak the Night

Try looking at the Pleiades with a Baader UHC-S filter, it's really trippy. :D

18. Dave In Vermont

Okay - I'll bite: How are they 'trippy?' What are the effects of a Baader UHC-S on them?

On edge of my chair...

Dave

19. Mak the Night

Well, it makes the stars an odd colour, which sort of reminds me a bit of Christmas tree lights, and I think it allows you to see a bit of nebulosity. Unless I'm mistaken. I'd recommend at least a 4.5mm or wider exit pupil though.

20. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

I just ordered a UHC filter. I had nebula surfing in mind, but I'll definitely take a look at Pleases. :)