Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Stockholm observatory.

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by kevan hubbard, Feb 19, 2019.

Stockholm observatory.

Started by kevan hubbard on Feb 19, 2019 at 9:56 PM

3 Replies 88 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Just been on a short 4 day trip to Sweden staying in Stockholm and a day trip to uppsala. I was able to visit Stockholm observatory but apart from the building there's not much to see.it had a museum in it which is closed for the foreseeable future but if you look through the window there's a small refractor and reflector I'd guess about 2"and 4"respectively.the bigger telescopes where taken away as Stockholms light pollution became a problem.anders Celsius was based here and developed the Centigrade/Celsius temperature scale here.mainly been cloudy here but I did get to observe the daylight moon from the Royal djurgarten national Park plus the full moon over Stockholm this morning as I was walking to the rail station at an ungodly hour of 0430!

2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Sounds like kind of a sad trip. Did you get to visit the Stockholm Observatory back when it had the big telescopes? Everything changes and some times and in some ways not for the best.

3. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

No I think that the big telescopes where moved to a rural location in the 1970s.

4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Too bad about the Stockholm Observatory. I wonder if the new location of the big scopes is open for public observation.