Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Superdupermoon

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Mak the Night, Jan 1, 2018.

Superdupermoon

Started by Mak the Night on Jan 1, 2018 at 7:38 AM

35 Replies 4706 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

According to my Collins 2018 Guide to the Night Sky and the Royal Observatory Greenwich, the Moon has its closest perigee of the year on January the First at 356,565 kilometres.

Screenshot_20180101-152711.png Screenshot_20180101-152258.png Screenshot 2018-01-01 at 15.24.49.png

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Mak the Night likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Here is my picture of the super moon from 5 minutes ago, very gracious with a bit of red. :) It's so cold outside.. no astronomy tonight..

[​IMG]

5. Dave In Vermont

Too cold, eh? When I woke up this am, it was a lovely -13°F. But it has warmed up significantly - it's now 0°F! Shirtsleeves and running-shorts weather! What are you? A wimp? :p

I just made it to my corner-store to pick-up some spaghetti for dinner. Astronomy? Tonight? Ahahahahahahahahaha!!

Not bloody likely, Captain! :eek:

(Off to run a blow-torch over my body...)

Icy evaD

p.s. - That Moon came out really well! Love the colour!

Nebula likes this.
  6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

hahahah we have -4 F right now -20 celcius, -27 celcius with the wind factor. I am a wimp totally. Stucked inside...

What kind of spaghetti is it a good quality sauce at least?

7. Mak the Night

I had corned beef and mustard sandwiches. It's a crazy one degree Celsius here.

Nebula and Dave In Vermont like this.
  8. Dave In Vermont

Haven't decided on a sauce. Something simple though - maybe a pepper-basil concoction. Simple stuff for fast carbo-load and a nap until this crap weather lifts. Or 'if.'

I know - we're in the same weather-pattern. This one wins the records here. And the Trumpistani's are blathering this weather proves Trump is right - Global-Warming is a Chinese lie and scientists are stupid. DER!!

9. Dave In Vermont

Lucky stiff! +1C. Ha!

(I love GOOD Corned Beef!)

10. Mak the Night

This was Waitrose corned beef. Expensive, but worth it.

11. Dave In Vermont

Send me a kilo! And some Baader Wonder-Fluid!

I've never seen a Federal Bomb-Squad blow-up a package of Corned-Beef before!

12. Mak the Night

I'll send them over on the next Concorde. I've been looking at the superdupermoon with the Orion SkyGlow and a 40mm Plossl for about 31x. It looks good, I used the violet filter as well.

13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I should have a small telescope like you Mak and Dave for fast observations like that.. Getting the large newtonian and EQ5 at -20 is counter productive..

I love smoked meat (although not sure if it's 100% it's the exact same thing has corned beef) but with mustard, I love that (;

If my memory serves me well, it's around 32$ for 1 Kg of sliced meat, very expensive here too.

14. Dave In Vermont

A small (grab & go) telescope, eh? This narrows you down to a small refractor like an ST80 - and you KNOW we love these! - or a Maksutov. Up to a 127mm Mak can be considered portable with ease(!). But don't let the diminutive size of these fool you - these things pack one heck of a punch!

Downside of Maks: Narrow FOV - but no problem on solar-system objects - planets, Moons, comets, etc.

Downside of fast Achromatic Refractors: Some purpl-ish fringing on very bright targets - the Moon, Venus - great for low-power views such as starfields in Cygnus, Ophiuchus, etc. Extended nebulae (the Veil & etal).

Downside of Both: None whatsoever! :p

Veil-2017-08-02-NB-RGB-1800 Ha.jpg Extended Veil Nebula

!sdagE

Nebula likes this.
  15. Mak the Night

For a good all rounder I'd think about an inexpensive achromat around 7 ~ 10cm. I have four Mak's but they're really only good for lunar/planetary, which they excel at. Brighter DSO's are good with Mak's as are some open clusters and the like. It's not easy to get exit pupils larger than around 3mm though.

st80comet (4).jpg

This was my (Synta) Orion ST80 before I upgraded its focuser to a 2" TS Optics (GSO) Crayford rail. Orion have stopped distributing the ST80 but Sky-Watcher still do. I have a Sky-Watcher ST80 as well although I replaced it with the Orion as its dew shield was hard to remove and the focuser screws seemed dodgy.

EQ 2 small weight (1).jpg little frac (1).jpg little frac (2).jpg

The main problem with the ST80 was finding a suitable mount/tripod combination that I could use easily considering my disability. The SW ST80 came with an EQ1 but I thought it was too flimsy so I used a spare EQ2 with the EQ1 counterweight. EQ mounts are great for plane of the ecliptic, especially lunar/planetary, but difficult for me for the zenith. I tried an SW AZ3 but it just wasn't up to the job and went with a Vixen Porta II and Hal130 tripod.

ST80fl2.jpg

The GSO 2-speed focuser is really good and I bought the ES 14mm eyepiece especially for the ST80 when I use it on an AZ5 mount in 1.25" mode.

tube1.jpg

It took me a while to get everything sorted, and it cost me more than I thought it would, but it all worked out relatively fine.

st80 club.jpg

However, the ST80 will suffer from chromatic aberration which can be noticeable at high magnifications. One way of ameliorating this is to use a minus cyan filter like the Baader Fringe Killer. Although for low power sweeping of star fields and the like it isn't necessary.

There's nothing as sharp and crisp as a refractor, even a relatively inexpensive one. I've got magnifications of 167x on Saturn and Jupiter and even 171x on the Moon.

What the ST80 really excels at though is low power wide angle viewing. The 16mm T5 Nagler and 19mm Panoptic are incredible on the ST80 and in 2" mode The 31mm and 36mm Baader Aspherics and 19mm Luminos are quite breathtaking.

16. Dave In Vermont

Orion USA is the source for the ST80 here in the Snakes. Not sure about Canada though.

Last Analysis Dept: No one telescope is best for everything - hence my snippet about both. Which one first? Which do you like the most? Solar System & Moon? Or wide star-fields?

17. Mak the Night

Orion have stopped distributing the ST80 Dave, I think they've replaced it with something cheaper. There is an 80mm Meade which is more or less identical to the ST80. From what I've heard the GSO focuser replacements fit them. Plus, the mount/tripod looks far more usable than the SW equivalent. It's worth checking out in case something happens to my Orion and I don't want to replace it with a Sky-Watcher. I'm guessing the doublet is JOC, so high quality.

https://www.meade.com/infinity-80mm-altazimuth-refractor.html

11e7a179-43f1-46b6-af27-61d1cde7964d.png

I think if I had to plump for one small scope it would have to be something like the ST80 or this Meade, as it can do planetary and wide field. Albeit there are certain problems. I don't know whether there are any Meade Infinity scopes that are sold as just OTA's though. If you replaced the focuser with the GSO it can be rotated so as to place the dovetail in the correct place for a Vixen style mount. In that way you wouldn't need tube rings.

Of course, the ideal solution is to get a nice mount and then get a small Mak and a small frac lol.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

19. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I am looking at the used market now, it's incredible how it's filled with garbage retractors from Wallmart or brass telescope.. very depressing pages to look at.

That thread from 4 days ago is actually a few months old.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-passe-temps...mm/1323563995?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

At first he was selling the Dobsonian and various accessories for around 1900$ with 2 Xcel lX and a Hyperion... (he claims are worth 800$). I wrote to him saying all of that was not (most likely) even worth 800$ used. Now he reduces the price at 850 a few months later..

People watch too much Pawn stars.... that's the problem.

20. Mak the Night

Yeah, it's not got particularly good reviews from what I've heard. I think the focuser and the mount isn't that good. I can get the Meade for about 140 quid here, the 80ST is about 120 quid. The SW ST80/EQ1 is about 130 quid.

If I was buying an OTA/mount tripod combination now I'd go for the Meade Infinity.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018