Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Telescope Manuals and Catalogs Database

Discussion in 'Vintage Telescopes & Equipment' started by george, Apr 7, 2016.

Telescope Manuals and Catalogs Database

Started by george on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:42 AM

23 Replies 6970 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. george

george Developer

Hi all,

Sorry I didn't post this earlier but I've been away from a computer for most of the last week and half dealing with a loss in the family. I originally wanted to bring up this conversation here our site if there was any interest in duplicating the classic telescopes catalogs and manuals database.

I had seen the following thread on cloudynights, http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/531320-classic-telescopes-catalogs-and-manuals-site-gone/. And I had wanted to reach out see if there was any interest in Astronomy Connect compiling this information into our database. Before my plans had been interrupted last week I had already the first night I saw the post download and compiled the content of the original Classic Telescope Catalog and Manuals page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160131042244/http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/classics/

I have since come back to this project this morning and started reading the original cloudynights thread to find out another member @Datapanic has since compiled and hosted the content on his personal site. I just wanted to see if there was any interest in also having the content here on AC. It will be more like a database list as opposed to a wiki like it has been compiled here on @Datapanic site http://wiki.telescopeclassics.com/index.php/Main_Page.

Love to hear your thoughts and see what you guys think.

PXR-5 and Gabby76 like this.
  2. george

george Developer

3. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

I don't suppose there is anyway to categorize things by f/ratio/aperture? At least for me, I tend to remember "60 MM F/15 refractor" before I remember a lot of the names, many of which are gone.

4. george

george Developer

I will have to take a look at the data, but off the top of my head it would involve manual intervention. If someone wanted to help take that project on of further categorizing or creating additional attributes for each catalog/manual I would totally be willing to work with them on the technical aspects. What I have now is is scrapped data based on what was already available on the page. I just wrote a small RegEx to break it down. But I have turned the data in the following columns based on the original titles

• Title
    • Print Type (ex. Color or Black and White)
    • Print Year
    • Pages
    • File Size
    • File Type
    • Source (Person who submitted the original document)
    The bigger issue is rights to the data, and I don't want to step on anybody's toes by post something that someone has put quite the bit of effort into compiling.

If anybody is in touch with @Datapanic or whom ever was originally managing it I would love to discuss the issue with them.

5. Datapanic

Datapanic Member

You're welcome to do whatever you want with the data. I am providing the server and it's on the Comcast Business network. It's not a "personal server", it's a non-commercial server. It is running on MediaWiki and there may already be a plugin to have better search into the .pdf files, but for now, I have no plans on enhancing things - there's not enough traffic to justify that kind of effort. The wiki format was selected so that other folks can contribute (edit, add) information pertaining to the companies, catalogs and manuals.

6. george

george Developer

Thanks @Datapanic, this was put on the back burner as I didn't get a response from anyone and I didn't want to post the data up if I did not have permission. I will put this on my todo list to investigate implementing this again, but it sounds like you already have a pretty good system going. Ours would be more like a searchable list with some sorting functionality.

7. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Just noted this was floating about in here. It rather pre-dates me here - to an extent at least. Anywho - my contribution is that I have quite a few copies of telescope-manuals I grabbed out of the manufacturer's websites. So they are the products of the makers.

If you get this sorted in a legal-tense, and design a place for posting same for all, please let me know and I'll be happy to put in the copies I have and/or get. Unabridged, of course.®.....

Dave

8. george

george Developer

I haven't seen much traction on this, is this something you think people are interested in? @Datapanic mentioned that their wasn't really much traffic/demand for what he has already provided. Plus his system is a little more in depth than what we would provide. It would literally be much like what the original site provided except a table that is filterable and searchable.

9. Dave In Vermont

It wouldn't have crossed my synapses if I hadn't found a reason to, but I've found myself needing same myself. Then, after tearing out a few handfuls of hair in lieu of my oversight, I decided to start a collection.

Thanks for the update,

Dave

10. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

A spot to provide links or copies of harder to find manuals would be great, I will have to go and check out the other site if it is still up.
    I am always looking for older telescope and mount manuals.

11. Dave In Vermont

Tell me the one(s) you're looking for - I may have same. A more extensive link to sites of many will take me a bit of time to dredge-up. But I'm beat for tonight. Lack of sleep watching Agent Orange provoking an all-out war wears me thin.

But I'll put it on my To-Do List. Off to 'Duck and Cover!'

50 Megaton Soviet Czar Bomba in 1961.jpg

'Ta,

R & D

12. Gabby76

Nothing specific at the moment unless you have the operators manual for a Vixen Polaris mount.
    Not the SP, GP, etc. :)

13. george

george Developer

I can revisit this after the holiday season so let me know if this a feature people may be interested in? Last I checked it was being done else where.

14. Dave In Vermont

If we have a spot in the future to add Pdf. manuals of telescopes to, I'll be glad to transfer copies of all my collection into it. I have a whole bookshelfs' worth!

Me and my 'Miles-O'-Files.' :p

Dave

15. Dave In Vermont

Hey George - if you're reading this in a small thread you started - have you thought about cobbling together a spot for this? I do indeed have a large collection of such in Pdf. format I'd be happy to seed such a sub-forum with the clones thereof.

Please let me know? Thanks for all you do. I hope you had a good holiday-season out there.

All the Best -

Dave

16. george

george Developer

I will put it on my list of features we want to implement. Currently working on a rather large upgrade for our main site so my time on AC upgrades is on hold at the moment.

17. Dave In Vermont

Thanks for getting back to me, George - no rush. Get Agena up & running. I'll keep my eyes open. And give the Agena-folk my best wishes! They are the best shop going for most of the stuff we always need or want. And ScopeStuff for the truly esoteric.

'Ta!

18. Gabby76

I also have quite a few pdf manuals for gear that can be hard to find.
    If you ever decide to go ahead with this i will be happy to provide what I have.

19. Dave In Vermont

Geesh, Gabby! Get out of my head! Or, at least, do a little dusting while you're wandering around up there...

You see - I was just thinking about the same thing as you: Getting the Catalog/Manual Forum up & running. I was going to ask George to push a few buttons and check a few boxex, and let us come and load the place. Not knowing precisely what he had in mind - can anyone (members) add 'stuff' to it? If so - no problem. Or will it need permissions to load 'stuff?' If so he could 'mod' us up for a while and let us load it? You could do that, Gabby - yes? I know how to as a former 'Super-Mod' in the Netherlands and could easily teach you.

Thus is what I was entertaining in my Craniums' Germaniums' just before I found your latest post above!

For dusting - the broom and trashcan is over in the corner, next to my couch - sit and rest if you like - I just had the couch re-upholstered in genuine Madagascar Centipede-Skin. It's really comfy!

evaD

Gabby76 likes this.
  20. Gabby76

I have my hands full enough being a mod on 2 different astro forums now, i come here to relax :D