Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSilver">Discussion The Joy of Binoculars

Discussion in 'All Other Observing Equipment' started by aeajr, Jan 20, 2016.

The Joy of Binoculars

Started by aeajr on Jan 20, 2016 at 4:28 PM

4 Replies 2695 Views 4 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

The Joy of Binoculars- Tips for Newbies

Best advice I received when I got involved in astronomy was to start with binoculars rather than a telescope. While anything over 40 mm is good, 7X50 or 10X50 were the most common recommendation. Remember that astronomy is all about gathering light, magnification is secondary. A pair of 50 mm binoculars gather about 50 times more light than your eyes can gather alone. If you use 70 mm binoculars they can gather 100 times more light than your eyes alone, but they are heavier. That means you can see a LOT with binoculars than you can see with the naked eye, especially in light polluted locations.
    • I have very few stars in my sky but when I use my 10X50s I can see a LOT more stars.
    • Binoculars are quick to use. Some nights I just pull out the binoculars for 10 minutes, enjoy the view then turn in. No way I would set up a telescope for that.
    • When I set up my telescopes I always take at least one pair of binoculars too.
    • You can use them hand held or you can put them on a tripod or a mount.
    • Binoculars come with me when I am traveling. I can toss 'em in the car or in my luggage.
    • Binoculars can be used for other things. Birds, boats, .... daytime stuff that you would never view with your telescope.
    • I have 3 telescopes but I recently added 15X70 binoculars. My binoculars probably get as much sky time as all of my telescopes combined.
    • There are books and websites all about binocular astronomy. You don't' need a telescope to enjoy the sky.
    • Finally, there are some things that just look great in binoculars. The Pleiades look fantastic in binoculars. That two eye, stereo vision view really adds to the experience.
    There are very expensive binoculars but, if your budget is small binoculars can be your low cost entry into astronomy. My first pair cost $20 from Harbor Freight, Gordon 10X50s. They are great! Later I added Celestron 15X70s, $66. Love ‘em. If you want to look at some better binoculars Oberwerk have an excellent reputation for quality and service.

Introduction to Binoculars for Star Gazing
    Seeing targets in Taurus

Binocular Sky – Binocular astronomy
    http://binocularsky.com/

How to hold binoculars
    http://binocularsky.com/binoc_hold.php

Top 10 binocular Targets
    http://www.astronomysource.com/2012/02/20/top-10-night-sky-objects-for-astronomy-beginners/

Binocular Universe Newsletter
    http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/binocular-universe/

2. LewC

LewC Well-Known Member

I have owned just one pair of binoculars in my life, a Nikon 7x50 that I purchased used in 1965. I swapped an 8-inch mirror kit for them from a fellow airman in the Air Force who purchased them new at a BX on Guam. I have used them mostly for astronomy.

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I broke a cardinal-rule for binoculars. I bought zoom bino's and they are Vivitars. But I got these back in 1996, and Vivitar made very good optics back then - now they'd be best left to being paperweights. These are 8X - 20X by 50mm. And they are very good. Smooth focus and perfectly collimated - including the right-side diopter to account for how most people have a bit of a difference between the right & left eyes.

Recently I caved in and bought a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15 X 70mm. They work as they should, but the weather is being as much fun as a case of pernicious anemia. But I can deduce that beneath the clouds and snow, they are well collimated and truly are a bargain for the cost. I have them mounted on a good, lightweight photo-type tripod that fits easily in my knapsack when folded.

Binoculars are a very good astronomy tool for fun, wide-field views of starfields in our local galaxy - which is something I very much enjoy. I think they add a great element to augment our arsenal of optical tools for astronomy. Thinking of getting some? Go for it! You'll like it.

Enjoy -

Dave

4. aeajr

aeajr Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. bventrudo

bventrudo Staff

For convenient and quick observation, binoculars are the way to go. When you know what to look for, there is so much to see!