Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

The TRIATLAS Project Second Edition

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Dave In Vermont, Dec 15, 2017.

The TRIATLAS Project Second Edition

Started by Dave In Vermont on Dec 15, 2017 at 4:34 AM

11 Replies 5315 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Greetings all!

I ran into a very nice, highly detailed set of Star-Charts - mapping the entire sky down the 9th, 11th, and 13th. magnitude. These are in 3 major volumes in the PDF format. These are in English, but originally come from Valencia in Spain (Espanã). And be apprised - the whole things weighs in at about 722MB, so the full download will take awhile.

And, guess what? They are FREE. Completely and in perpetuity!

They are available by a simple, manual download from the site, and they come in 2 sizes: One is mostly for European folks and called IOS, the 2nd. is marked 'U.S.A.' and is in the standard 8 X 11½" letter-size. Both are PDF's so just take your pick. They look small to the eye, but you just increase the magnification ( X ) on these and you get an excellent view. Or print them out for use by the scope. Experiment.

3 index pages to download are also available and act as a key to direct you to the right page for your desired targets up there. And here's the first introductory 'hello's' on the site:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The TRIATLAS Project Second Edition (April 2008 – March 2009)

by José Ramón Torres and Casey Skelton

Three deep sky atlases up to 9, 11 and 13 magnitude and two complementary editions

The TRIATLAS Second Edition

3 full MAIN DEEP SKY ATLASES up to 9, 11 and 13 magnitude

2 standard-alone COMPLEMENTARY EDITIONS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally (bet you're glad I'm ready to shut up! :p) - here's the link. The downloads you just scroll down, or read the page. It's quite interesting:

https://www.uv.es/jrtorres/triatlas.html

I L*O*V*E* star-charts! And collect 'em. These look really nice!

Enjoy -

Dave

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Orion25 and Mak the Night like this.
  2. BillP

BillP Well-Known Member

Cool! Thanks!!

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

That's interesting Dave, I suppose it's not a huge file really, I think I have a Siouxsie and the Banshees MP4 about that size lol.

4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Great! Thanks, Dave :D

5. Dave In Vermont

Okay, I've found another very good set of star-charts, and these were done by a gentleman with a Russian name. Fear not - it's in English.

Если вы не предпочтете их по-русски. Это вполне возможно в наши дни. Дай мне знать!

These are called Deep-Sky Hunter. They come in both a white-background & black stars edition. A black background with white stars called a 'Field Edition.' And a pictoral volume, and a few other items. Scroll down for the 'download' links on the main-page.

http://www.deepskywatch.com/deep-sky-hunter-atlas.html#alternative_downloads

(I don't know why, but the link deposits you 1/2 down the 'download' page. So just scroll up on the page and then scroll down to the first 3 links to the full atlas' versions and additional one.)

I like these, too!

Happy exploring!

Dave

Orion25 likes this.
  6. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

You find the greatest FREE stuff! Thanks for sharing the goodies:D

7. Dave In Vermont

You must be following me! :D I saw you here a moment ago as I fixed-up the link. I suggest you check to see you got the current link. The first one was a bit off.

D.

Orion25 likes this.
  8. Dave In Vermont

Hey Folks -

I think I've said this before to most of you, but I'll say it again:

If there is something you want or need in the field of astronomy-software, like some esoteric, rarely heard of planetarium-program (something like Stellarium is - just to clarify), or such - roll it past me. If I know of what you're looking for, I might have something that fits-the-bill. I maintain what I jokingly refer to as the 'Miles'-O'-Files' to give copies to people who could use such.

You'll never know if you don't ask! :cool:

'Ta,

Dave

9. Zen Kletsyn

Zen Kletsyn Member

Thanks, Dave! Cool stuff here, I love to collect star charts as well.

10. Dave In Vermont

Thanks, ZK!

A fellow star-chart freak, eh? Cool! I'll take a wander through the 'Miles-'O-Files' and see what pop-up. Do you like software-programs - so called 'Planetarium-Programs' like Stellarium? There are many of these worth 'test-piloting.'

Best Wishes -

Dave

11. Zen Kletsyn

Zen Kletsyn Member

I use Stellarium mostly, but also have Cartes du Ciel and The Sky. I'm always open to try new stuff!

12. Dave In Vermont

We have similar tastes - Stella (as I call it), CdC, and TheSkyX Serious Edition. But here's one the professionals use:

http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/

Clear your schedule before approaching this monster - you'll LOVE it! :p

FREE - but of course.

Dave - in a freezer...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017