Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

This is a great telescope why is it discontinued....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduce Yourself' started by terrypaula, Apr 24, 2018.

This is a great telescope why is it discontinued....

Started by terrypaula on Apr 24, 2018 at 9:59 AM

128 Replies 14184 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
?

Anyone else using the Meade LX70-M6

1. Meade LX70-M6

100.0%
  2. Meade LX70

100.0%
  3. Maksutov Cassagrain

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. terrypaula

terrypaula Well-Known Member

I recently purchased wonderful telescope a Meade LX70 M6. My question is why in the world did Meade Instruments discontinue this design? I realize it is a Chinese design, but what isn't at this date in time? First impression was WOW!! I plan on using this for a grab-n'-go. I think it's is ideal for that purpose. Unfortunately it has a terrible focusing system on it. On my first use I was disappointed because right about the instant you are going to achieve focus you lose it, going the other direction. I found thar other companies incorporated an external focusing system. The company that designs Vixen comes t mind. Not to be a name dropper, I purchased a GSO focuser.with a 10-1. Problem solved, period. Buying the GSO focuser has led me to a love affair with GSO/Agena and I'm not kidding. They make some great 1.25" eyepieces and barlows. I purchased a few eyepieces from them a line named SuperView and the other having ED glass. What great eyepieces. Inexpensive? Well yes, with the top of the line 1.25" being a mere $60. Take that Teleview... Obviously you aren't paying for a Nagler eyepiece. But, I'm not kidding, you would swear that you were looking through an EP that cost you a bunch more. I'm not one to tell people what to do but in my opinion everyone should check GSO/Agena out. Especially if you are on a budget as I am.
    That's enough of the sales pitch.

Anyone else out there in telescope-land using the same telescope as myself I have opened up the conversation to all. I have also found out that the Meade LX70-M6 IS NOT the same design as the SkyWatcher or the Orion design not even related I have found. The Meade does share the same looks though. It isn't a Synta design it appears to be. LOL

I am looking forward to exploring the cosmos with this instrument. Any one else...
    Terry

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Greetings, Terry, and a warm welcome to A-C - and budget gear and funky Meade achromatic-refractors are right up our proverbial alley's here. I've not had the pleasure to take a look through a Meade LX70 M6, but I do have another stupidly discontinued achro - their AR5 F/9.3 achromatic from about 2003. That 5" refractor gives 'crystalline' views of planets that simply blew me over backwards! Still does! I used it back in 2003 for the closest Mars in something like 50,000 years. And Mars is on it's way to come very close to this jaw-dropper again in August! And guess what scope I'm going after it again with.....?

Of course!

IMG_1151.JPG

Judging by you (first!) post here - you've truly found the right forum for your interests! We have long track-record here of saluting low-cost and just plain weird eyepieces, Barlows, music - and a plethora of other goodies! Oh yes - we all have ST80's here - with 10:1 Dual-Focus GSO Crayfords on our inexpensive 80mm F/5 Achromats, which cost more than the telescopes themselves.

So make yourself to home, Terry. You've found the right nest! And please do share more info on the LX70's!

Mars Brighter in 2018 Than Since 2003 (April, 2018).pdf

Dave

Attached Files:

Nebula likes this.
  4. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

5. Dave In Vermont

I've found conflicting info whenever I've tried to unravel the "Who Makes Meade's <fill in blank>?" And have essentially given up. Except for one last method I have yet to employ: Write a formal letter to the U.S. CEO of Meade Instruments kindly requesting an answer to this riddle.

Americans are generally incapable of deducing the simplest methods - such as understanding the fact that the quickest route between two points is a straight line. :eek:

6. Mak the Night

Yeah but OEM's generally don't like to divulge info. I know Meade are owned by Ningbo Sunny and that Synta are technically a competitor. It wouldn't stop them working together though if they thought it was mutually beneficial.

Concerning the ST80's, I reckon Orion decided they were becoming less economically viable, possibly with the advent of newer short tube achromatic refractors on the market. So they opted for a cheaper version not made by Synta. Ningbo Sunny marketed ST80's as Meade, as the name is well known. In Germany Astroshop are marketing them as Omegon.

Marketing ...

7. Dave In Vermont

Marketing?! More like 'convoluting.'

My SW Mak has a Schott glass sticker on it! For what it's worth...

8. Mak the Night

It's convoluted to us, but probably makes perfect sense to marketing. How do you introduce inexpensive Synta short tube achromats into a market?

1/ No one in the Continental US knows who the Synta Technology Corporation of Taiwan is or could find Taiwan on a map.

2/ Meade are a well known US brand of telescopes.

3/ Orion are a well known US brand of telescopes.

4/ Orion don't now sell the popular inexpensive Synta-made ST80 short tube achromat.

Problem: How do you introduce the popular inexpensive Synta-made ST80 short tube achromat back into the US market?

Solution One: Introduce the popular inexpensive Synta-made ST80 short tube achromat under a completely new brand name no one has heard of?

Solution Two: Introduce the popular inexpensive Synta-made ST80 short tube achromat under a well known US brand of telescopes.

Orion are a well known US brand of telescopes who no longer market the popular inexpensive Synta-made ST80 short tube achromat and have no immediate plans to do so.

Meade are a well known US brand of telescopes who would like to market the popular inexpensive Synta-made ST80 short tube achromat.

I've worked as a salesman, this is a no brainer to me. lol

9. Dave In Vermont

TRUISMS:

1. Everyone is a 'Salesman.'

2. Nobody knows they are a 'Salesman.'

3. If you want to get peoples' attention, using 'SEX' will certainly work.

4. Implying 'Free Money' will also work.

END OF COMMUNIQUE.

10. Mak the Night

I'm guessing you're no Willy Loman lol.

11. Dave In Vermont

No - a dyed-in-the-wool cynic.

12. Mak the Night

Yeah, and me.

13. terrypaula

I don't know what happened but I was responding to the thread when everything went out on me???
    Is there anybody that use budget optics like I do? Agena/GSO. They have a great FOV for a budget EP. 68 degrees is pretty good in my opinion. They do get a lot of things in the glass t look at too. I have a 2" set of Celestrons that I at least got out of the box too look at. I don't need them. So I am going to market them case and all. They are new.
    I'm looking for an app that gives good reading to make the mount setup easier. Know of one? I want one that will good and accurate declination. I found 2 great ones for finding and setting good and accurate CNP, (celestial polar north), but it still could be improved upon. The scale on my mount does not give a very accurate read on declination. I have finalizing figured out what the heck Kochab's Alignment is and I plan on using that for finding the Celestial North Polar. I get get very good slews using it. I almost never have to align anything after I do the 2 star easy alignment. Every now and then it throws me into a wormhole so to speak.
    Does anyone use products made by AstroGadget? I picked up a heater for the meniscus on my mak just because it turns into a birdbath in the spring and summer.
    We had a great moon last evening the mountain in the north side were great with my Meade LX70-M6 I saw some really minute craters on the moon something the Celestron SE6 I have can't seem to do.
    One more thing on the Celestron; why did I have to adjust the collimaton every time I used it. Talk about finicky and touchy. I am glad it's gone. I'll never own an SCT again. Unless it's a Meade LXD55 or 75 the shorter one are a real yuck. I am way to fussy I guess. I don't like to fuss around with my telescope I just want to set it up and use it. Amen!!
    Terry

14. Dave In Vermont

Catch your breath Terry! One question first, please not an entire fleet of than, please? :p

I'll (for one) read your questions here and do my best to address same. As will others, I'm sure!

In the meanwhile - how are you set for star-charts? Have you ever heard of the wonderful 'Planetarium-Program' by the name of 'Stellarium?' You set this to your location (easy stuff!), and it will then show you a very accurate image of what's up in your sky at the correct time! Similar software-programs can cost you upwards of $350.00 US$. But Stellarium is 100% FREE!

While we chew over your questions, play with this! You'll love it!

Here's a 'Copy & Paste.'
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this link is the main page for downloading Stellarium. Choose which version is correct for your computer. Here you go:

http://www.stellarium.org/
    As for instructions, a full copy of them is bundled with the program that you download. But if you need another copy for some reason, these can be downloaded here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/st...1/stellarium_user_guide-0.18.0-1.pdf/download

This program is quite large, so download when you have a few minutes. I'll leave you with 2 screenshots: First one shows basically how Stellarium appears before you customizes it, while the 2nd. shows my copy Which is much more customized by the 'user,' which is Yours' Truly. Mine is much more advanced - just to give you an idea about Stellarium's great range of options. Please know that I am an experienced user.

Stellarium Screenshot - Beginning Screen.png

And mine:

stellarium-1139.png

I hope you enjoy this! And don't worry - we can lead you to the answers to your questions. And you'll get that taken care of!

As to "What happened...?" - I'd suggest you clear your computers' cache, And re-booting if you find yourself suddenly 'dumped' from here, or anywhere else for that matter. Need help with this? It's quite easy! Just ask.

Don't be a stranger!

Dave

15. Mak the Night

Yeah, Stellarium's bugs are free too.

Screenshot 2018-04-22 at 23.22.40.png

Go SkySafari ~ you know it makes sense. ;)

16. terrypaula

Thanks for the link to Stellarium but I already heard about it. I am using Linux some of the time too. Stellarium works in Linux too. I have been using a program called Kstars. I like Linux because it appeals to my sense of cheap. Linux free Windows not cheap. Anyway that is where I caught the bug again. Not the flu or the aperture bug either I've heard of both of them.
    But maybe you can help me with something else. I have been laboring to get my polar scope collimated and have been having quite trial trying t get it right. Is it extremely important that I get it aligned to center. I have gotten it very close but as I rotate the mount to test to make sure it is aligned it wanders around a little bit but if I give it a rest and use the clutch to hold it it comes to rest on the spot that am trying to align the cross hairs too. Understand what I mean? I understand that the basics are important get it level 1st point it at Polaris, declination, the scale if off on my mount so I can't go by it in real time. I get the mount leveled, point the leg with the star or N on it pointing as close to North as you can. I then have to raise the polar scope to the correct delineation. I live in 42.45 as far as my GPS is concerned and slew from there to get it aligned using easy alignment? I prefer to use at least 2 stars because I'm already centered on Polaris. Is that correct? The last time I, did that it was off a bit well actually quite a bit. Then I saw a link on an LXD75 and this guy went through a big issue to where he was having the same issue have right now. He found that not supplying the right amount of current to the mount took quite a toll on his slews I bought the right power supply, actually he used a battery charger to see if it affected his slews and it worked. I have a power supply that only provides around one amp. The LXD55 requires five amps. Then you have to program AutoStar again. I have to try it. Because after the first star and I pull it over to it and hit the enter button again the next star is off too. So my conclusion is I'll have to get the right power supply. I realize that things are going to be off a little. But want to try astro-photography afte a while. Especially this year because Marsis supposed to be even closer then in 2003. Wow!!! Do you believe I should spend the xtra dough on a power supply so I can keep it on Mars long enough to get a good shot?
    Terry

17. Mak the Night

Stellarium runs well on Linux.

IMG_20180305_110401.jpg

KStars is OK. There is an Android version, it is adequate. It's worth shelling out the spondoolies for SkySafari though. Best 17 quid I spent on astro software.

18. terrypaula

I know it does it's still a good program know matter what. Kstars is supposed to run on Windows but I have not been able to get it up and running. Right now I am fighting a polar scope do you know of a place where I can get a better one? I can't seem to be able to see Polaris through the scope. it focuses quit well because I was able to get it to collimate on a landmark, a roof peek. I have a scale on my mount that is not quite up to snuff. I am at 42.5 degrees on my GPS but the scale i=on my mount isn't right. How can you tell you have the decimation right if the scale is off a little.
    Terry

19. Dave In Vermont

I never bother with the Polar-Scopes that came installed on two of my mounts - which are also run by Autostars (Meade).

I got the mounts and computers running. Did a 3-star alignment on them. And they were spot-on in going to what I was looking for with no problems. I then was curious about what the Polar-Scope would tell me. There was no sign of Polaris in these things, so as it was finding things just fine, why would I care? I wouldn't and I didn't. It would serve no point to mess-up my alignment just for the sake of seeing Polaris through the silly thing! :p

Your milage may vary.

Dave

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  20. Mak the Night

I have never tried to install KStars on Windows, it is supposedly quite difficult. The only polar scope I have is in my undriven Sky-Watcher EQ5 and I just set it manually by sight. I'm at around 52° latitude and as the mount is manually used it is accurate enough for tracking.