Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

to filter or not to filter.....

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by squeege3000, Feb 4, 2019.

to filter or not to filter.....

Started by squeege3000 on Feb 4, 2019 at 1:13 PM

4 Replies 86 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. squeege3000

squeege3000 Well-Known Member

UHC filter or not? Here are two images taken a few days ago. One without filter, the other with OPTOLONG 2" UHC Filter. My Nikon D5500 doesn't see red very well, but for some reason the filter seems to allow most of the light passing through it to be in the red color range. Hydrogen and Oxygen emissions I would guess. Anyway, I seem to like the unfiltered one better! Both taken with 80mm CF apo by Orion, and Celestron Advanced vx mount. horsehead 4x6.jpg optolong broadband.jpg

Gabby76 and Ed D like this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Interesting effect the Optolong UHC filter had. I also noticed that, in addition to the red, the filter clipped a lot of nebulosity under the Horsehead. My guess is that your filter is for visual observation, not imaging. I tried using my NPB filter, which passes Ha, on M42 with somewhat similar results.

Orion Neb 2017 03-05 AT72ED NPB Filt.jpg

The unfiltered image has a lot more detail and is really very nice. I converted it to B&W just to see what it would look like.

horsehead 4x6.jpg

Ed D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  3. squeege3000

Thanks Ed. My unmodded D5500 doesn't do well in capturing the red range. I was going to try merging filtered and unfiltered images in photoshop and see what pops out.

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Dumb question because you probably tried it already, but, have you played with the white balance or other camera settings?

Ed

5. squeege3000

I process using RAW data, and that should contain all the information. But no, I haven't tried different settings. What an epiphany!