Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

unusual objects in the sky.

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, May 13, 2018.

unusual objects in the sky.

Started by kevan hubbard on May 13, 2018 at 6:11 PM

36 Replies 421 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

We all know the old maxim put around :UFOs can't exist as astronomers who spend so much time looking skywards never see them.well tonight I saw something I cannot I explain! I was not really stargazing just walking home from the rail station after a long trip and I saw how bright Jupiter was so decided to sit on a bench and admire it using a 8x25 monocular I was packing. Across the field of view flew 3 objects like luminous balls and one was weaving in and out of the others.sadly I was under a tree and couldn't track them higher into the sky due to the branches. It was a most extraordinarily thing and I really cannot explain it.birds? But why was one weaving out of the others which where going straight also don't think large birds fly at night plus they where luminous (swans or white geese I suppose could appear luminous?). No definitely not satellites due to the erratic formation flying. Planes?no noise and why would they be doing it at 0100hrs!?then again why would aliens put on air displays?closest thing I can think of is the foo fighters allegedly seen by ww2 air men. I must say it unnerved me a bit.

2. kevan hubbard

Oh ruled out Chinese lanterns too as these objects where clearly directed and the the third one was weaving out of the other ones really fast.

3. Dark Site

Dark Site Member

Drones perhaps?

Gabby76 likes this.
  4. kevan hubbard

No too high and flying in formation, a tight formation. My only guess of natural/human/animal phenomena is sprites in the upper atmosphere but they where moving quite fast from south to north west.pretty sure they where artificial. I'm not a believer in UFOs but I just can't explain this one otherwise.it is hard to guess their brightness as I only saw them in the 8x25 monocular which obviously enhances their brightness way beyond naked eye so I'm not sure if they would have been naked eye?likewise altitude is hard to guess,the speed of crossing the sky was pretty fast which means either very close or very high up rather than an intermediate distance.

Dark Site likes this.
  5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Heya Kevan -

You're a lucky devil in my book! But I wouldn't have been 'unnerved.' I'd have been more inclined to stick out my thumb and beg 'em to give me a lift!

Have you got a good satellite-tracker? There are some satellites that fly in formations, and shift around for various reasons. And approx. 60% of them are CLASSIFIED and you can't find out whose or what's they is. Many folks make a hobby of satellite - watching. Very good satellite-tracking software is available out there. My favorite one is PreviSat. And it's quite easy to use and learn to keep it's settings up-to-date. It's FREE and out of France. In English. Have a link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/previsat/

Dark Site likes this.
  6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Obviously Zeta Reticulan scout ships.

Dark Site likes this.
  7. kevan hubbard

No not like any satalite I've ever seen before. One was weaving through the others at right hand turns.to be honest I can't think of anything that it could be apart from UFOs!

8. Dark Site

Dark Site Member

Might be fun to google your location and what you saw.

9. kevan hubbard

I have no other reports.I was lucky that they flew through the monocular field of view generally when people see such things they have to grab a pair of binoculars frequently not within reach.I think that they had tails like tadpoles. Whilst I was interested in UFOs as a boy I'd sort of ruled out alien visits due to the vast gulf twixt the stars and the seemingly impregnable barrier presented by the speed of light. Plus the fact that life has adapted to the worlds it began on and couldn't readily transplant to another world.

10. Mak the Night

I saw a large meteor in the south west while observing last night. Big fireball. Isn't there a meteor shower at the moment? I lose track of them and I even have an app which tells me when they are.

11. kevan hubbard

There might well be but what I saw behaved nothing like a bolide. Almost certainly controlled objects..... But controlled by what is the question!!?? I like the title of Tobias churtons book on the gnostics,'a crack in the universe',did we have visitors through the crack?

12. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I saw a UFO myself last Saturday, a light going in 1 direction then coming back abruptly and disappearing. I was sitting on a chair close to my telescope, relaxing my feet the dime light looked exactly like a slow satellite disappeared exactly in the middle of the largeBeehive cluster which was naked eye visible... then I took the telescope and looked at the Beehive, enjoying it. :D

The UFO was a UFO.. probably the star people quitting earth to go back to a better world.

13. Mak the Night

'Almost certainly controlled objects.....'

How can you possibly know for sure? I've seen ball lightning that looked 'controlled'.

Spaced gnostics sounds inevitable.

14. kevan hubbard

Ah but ball lightning is a mystery in itself and I'm not sure scientists believe hundred percent it exists.when my grandmother was a girl in rural county Sligo, Ireland, she saw some come out the fire place during a storm,it flew around the room and vanished with a bang.that fact that it happened during a storm would suggest it is electrical in nature? Yes the UFO could have been ball lightening but it's explaining one unknown with another!

15. Mak the Night

My guess is that it's some localised geological piezoelectrical phenomenon. There's a town not far from where I live built on a hill. The area has an odd geology and ball lightning (along with the occasional Zeta Reticulan scoutship) is reported fairly often there. The two times in my life I've witnessed what was most probably ball lightning were above that town.

16. kevan hubbard

I heard various theories about ball lightning. Ionised plasma seems to be the most popular. The foo fighters of ww2 seem to have been ball lightning if the tales are true but strangely no aviators report seeing them now.perhaps modern jets are too fast for it to build up on them?reports sometimes suggest that ball lightning seems to be directed but by what?!it probably follows the easiest route for example down chimneys and therefore,to humans, it looks like it has followed the route using intelligence.

17. Mak the Night

Foo Fighters were probably Nazi back engineered Zeta Reticulan scoutship technology.

18. sickfish

sickfish Active Member

I see planes lining up to land at Logan, which is not to far from where I live.
    But the light that bops around is strange

19. kevan hubbard

I've seen tons of planes circling to land and this wasn't planes!one objects was weaving through the others I suppose a bit like a DNA helix except two where going straight.the only natural phenomena I can think of are sprites and ball lightening but so little is known about these indeed we're not even 100 percent sure ball lightening exits although a fair number of people seem to have seen it.the mechanism by which it could form is not understood. Sprites where only discovered in the 1980s by space craft above the planet looking down for various reasons clandestine and other wise.

20. sickfish

sickfish Active Member

Maybe a drone. But it is for now a UFO. It was flying and it is unidentified.
    Do you live near Area 51?