Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Uranus Opposition 19/10/17

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Mak the Night, Oct 18, 2017.

Uranus Opposition 19/10/17

Started by Mak the Night on Oct 18, 2017 at 9:16 AM

11 Replies 1681 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

At transit 00:57 British Summer Time for me. 47.2° altitude, 18.91 au distant (Pisces).

uranus transit1.jpg uranus transit2.jpg uranus transit 3.jpg

Of course, there will be clouds.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

CdC is great for Moons -

Uranus & Moons in CdC.png

Love it for that alone!

Dave

3. Mak the Night

It's accurate as well, unlike Stellarium.

4. Dave In Vermont

What version of Stellarium, Mak? It may well be it has changed a great deal over the years. In fact - it tends to be improved & tweaked about once a week, if you look at and read-up on the 'betas' that Alex & Crew put out left, right, and sideways.

R & D

5. Mak the Night

I'm using what's in the Ubuntu repo, 12 series I think. I won't run it on Windows.

6. Dave In Vermont

Alrighty then -

Taken about 20 minutes apart, I've got 2 charts to share. Note positions of the Moons:

CdC:
    CdC 42.png

Stellarium:
    stellarium-644.png

So what say thee?

As of late, Alex & Co. have been adding more Moons of the Outer-Planets. Last update was Neptune I think. But these 2 screenshots show they're both hooked-up to the same telemetry-service. So there you are - no longer does CdC 'own' these for accurate solar-system Moon positions.

We have a saying over here about New England: "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute." And the same goes with Stellarium. The Stellarium development-team are always making 'Stella' better and bigger in scope. Never seen them make things worse. And they certainly do act on requests, too. And fast.

'nuf said -

R & D

7. Dave In Vermont

Oh yeah -

The last full-build of Stellarium is 0.16.1 and the 'beta' 0.90.0.9873. A new 'beta' is released just about weekly. And a list of latest improvements. They refer to these as a 'trunk' series as they blend seamlessly into the main body of the program the full build 0.16.1

I don't know how they do this - but they do!

R & D

8. Mak the Night

The position of the GRS is usually way off in Stellarium. I like the old version I have on Ubuntu, but I won't run it on Windows now. Several years ago I had a few problems and ended up wiping my computer clean and then putting all my files back after Stellarium altered the BIOS clock. Not that the Windows BIOS clock is particularly accurate. In a couple of years I'll go completely 'nix anyway. I've had it with Windows.

9. Dave In Vermont

Oh yes - Stellarium 0.12.0 was used by the Dinosaurs. I am sure there's a million re-works of that one! 0.12.0! :D :eek: :D

R & D

10. Mak the Night

It works OK. I have considered updating it, Stellarium, not unlike CDC, works better on UNIX than Windows anyway. It's never easy updating anything on Linux though.

uranus.png

11. Dave In Vermont

12. Mak the Night

Debian packages aren't necessarily compatible with Ubuntu though. If I can't use the repo there can be complications. I think it took me an hour to get CDC to run on Ubuntu. Good job I've been an Ubuntu forum member since 2008 lol.