Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Veal Nebula (Moooooo)

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by squeege3000, Oct 8, 2018.

Veal Nebula (Moooooo)

Started by squeege3000 on Oct 8, 2018 at 5:41 AM

33 Replies 3873 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Pleiades

Pleiades Well-Known Member

Mine would be on a 6" Dobs f/8. For now, I'm going to sneak a Baader UHC-S past the wife, or maybe for Christmas. That seems like a more all around Nebula filter for my needs. I just wonder if it will help on the Veil. I'd say can't hurt, but you never know. LOL

I have been wondering about something I've read about, and that is increasing magnification to darken a background sky.

2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

150mm? You shouldn't have any problems. The Baader UHC-S is a very nice filter! And you mentioned somewhere back you wanted a Moon & Skyglow Filter, yes? Everyone should have the Baader Moon & Skyglow Neodymium-Filter. Usually just called the 'Neodymium-Filter.' Often thought of as the 'Swiss-Army Knife' of filters as it helps a wide variety of Solar-System candidates.

3. Pleiades

Great to hear. I should get a lot of use out of that. THNX! :)

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  4. Dave In Vermont

My pleasure.

What else could I do with this warehouse of data I lug around on my shoulders? :p It seems most member's here are evolving into "Filter-Nuts."

5. Pleiades

All the members here have been super helpful to me. I don't have an astronomy club remotely close to me. So this group is my helpline. But yes, I've gladly swallowed the filter cool-aid.

6. Dave In Vermont

Maybe you could consider starting an astronomy-club around your neck of the woods? I sincerely doubt you're the only one in your area with an interest in the night-time sky. Taking the initiative might be a real lifesaver to other people with similar love for the stars!

Food for thought...

D.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Pleiades likes this.
  7. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

It should work well on a 150mm scope. Although Dave's probably right about experimenting for yourself. I live on the edge of the greenbelt surrounded by farm and woodland, so my sky is fairly dark. Conditions will dictate much though, even with a 15cm scope. Focal ratio is also almost certainly a big factor. Even where I observe from a regular UHC or OIII can struggle on a 150mm, f/6 Newtonian or a 102mm, f/4.9 refractor. A lot of people criticise the Baader UHC-S for being too 'broadband'. It does equate well with the Orion SkyGlow and they must have similar filter curves. However, 200mm fast Newtonians are commonplace these days, and that 50mm difference, especially with a slower 150mm reflector, changes everything. A lot of those who attack the UHC-S for being ineffectual have probably never used a reflector smaller than 8 inches in aperture. Either way, I find the UHC-S needs at least 3mm of exit pupil.

Pleiades likes this.
  8. Mak the Night

Yeah, it should be good.

Not in my experience. The OIII does, I'm not totally sure on the theory but the OIII specifically passes the ionized oxygen lines (496 and 501nm) emitted by diffuse, planetary and extremely faint nebulae. Ask Dave, he'll know lol.

How about an orange filter to darken the sky? lol

9. Mak the Night

Guilty ...

Pleiades likes this.
  10. Dave In Vermont

I think that's a good thing for any astronomy-minded person to do. These little funny-colored glass do-dads' embrace the very heart & soul of astronomy. They embrace and encourage us to use our eyes to a whole new realm of colour and depth-perception which was there all the time, just invisible to us until we drew it out to reveal itself. Just as looking through a telescope reveals new vista's and places that were there - just temporarily occluded from our view.

As our esteemed colleague, whose fiddling with a filter easily revealed structure in the Venusian atmosphere (always there - but in hiding) says:

EXCELSIOR!

Pleiades likes this.
  11. Pleiades

• Gottcha. Thanks. The Orion is a $$ bit less, so that is good to know.
    • My scope is an f/8, so a 4mm exit pupil would be 32mm. That Vixen 30mm we spoke about is still on my acquire list.
    • I'll pick up an O-III to accompany that 30mm as well.
    Thanks for the information guys.
    Andy

12. Pleiades

HA! I'm trying that. Welcome to the Coffee Comets! (Coffee County Tennessee) Two members so far, but we are only a few months old. First outreach was a kid. Great kid, but all he really was interested in was aliens. The second attempt at outreach was an adult, who was largely disappointed that he wasn't getting Hubble quality images from a 50mm scope. :( He seemed to lose interest after that, but I'm still hopeful that he will come back. I'm going to try to get on the calendar for the local community center, but I am a bit nervous to be honest. Nervous about my skill level, facilitating this thing, and about hauling a dobs to the community center.

13. Mak the Night

I think the UHC-S is cheaper than the SkyGlow here lol.

14. Dave In Vermont

You might turn the kid onto Stellarium. In it's exo-planet application, it will show you the exo-planets out there thought to be able to support life like ours. Here's a screenshot.

stellarium-076a.jpg
    Good luck!