Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Venus back!

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by kevan hubbard, Feb 17, 2018.

Venus back!

Started by kevan hubbard on Feb 17, 2018 at 10:45 AM

6 Replies 1084 Views 1 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

Success in spotting Venus tonight as she returns to our night skies!I used my Opticron 8x25 monocular to spy our next door world in the orange glow of the setting sun.not much of a window, sun sets 1720 and Venus sets about 1750.I can add Venus to the list of planets I've see in 2018 so far;Venus, earth (cheating?), Uranus and Jupiter. I suppose if I put my mind to it it'd still be possible to add Neptune.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Venus has a branch of the Greater Sioux Nation named for it. The 'Lakota.' It means 'The People of the Morning Star.'

Orion25 likes this.
  3. kevan hubbard

A friend of mine from Baltimore has just written an occult novel set in Baltimore and Oxford. In it he said that there was a statue of Hermes trimagestus at Christ Church, Oxford, this threw me a bit until I realised mercury is Hermes and there's a statue in a pond in the main quad (tom quad).I'd forgotten my Greek/Roman planets/gods.

4. Dave In Vermont

Yup. The 'Messenger.' I've only gotten one good observation here. My Eastern view is blocked by the Green Mountains, so that's totally out for me. The West means the Sun has to set behind the Adirondack Mountains - so it can get me about 30-minutes for Venus before is ducks. For Mercury I'm lucky to get about 15. Long enough to, already set-up in a local park, get it's current color and phase, usually 'brick-red.'

So I make do with the reports of others. I was absolutely thrilled in 1978 (?) when we got our first up-close, detailed photo's by Pioneer ( was it Pioneer?). Showing it's face like the Moon! Got those from an issue of Astronomy Magazine.back then. I was 18 then.

5. kevan hubbard

The most famous pioneers are 10 and 11 which I'm guessing are going through the terminator shock about now and thus have left the solar system.... Amazing really punny humans can do such a thing. However unlike voyager there where earlier pioneers which don't have the fame of 10 and 11 some of these did indeed explore the inner solar system but I don't know the numbers. Strange that voyager 1 and 2 did become pioneer 12 and 13?

6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Close though.

Screenshot 2018-02-18 at 14.33.53.png Screenshot 2018-02-18 at 14.36.11.png

7. Dave In Vermont

Mercury (Hermes):

The-clearest-photo-of-Mercury-ever-taken PNG.png