Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Vintage 6" F23 Mystery Maksutov Restored

Discussion in 'Vintage Telescopes & Equipment' started by Bomber Bob, Oct 13, 2016.

Vintage 6" F23 Mystery Maksutov Restored

Started by Bomber Bob on Oct 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM

13 Replies 2532 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob Well-Known Member

Haven't been on A/C in a while. My latest restoration was a 6" F23 Maksutov Cassegrain made by an unknown amateur back in the late 1960s / early 1970s (approximate dating based on the Unitron focuser). I snagged the scope probably because the ad was for a "Vintage, used, 1960’s, Unitron, D 75mm F 1200mm, telescope, lens, optics." But it was obviously not a Unitron, and it definitely looked home built.

Here's a BEFORE shot:

MM6_S00 - Original Condition.jpg

Dave In Vermont and george like this.
  2. Bomber Bob

The Builder was obviously a skilled machinist, and I'm certain he bought the optics as a finished kit. Here's the back plate with its globe sockets, and the mirror plate, which tilts / adjusts because of those 3 round nuts.

MM6_S09 - Mirror Cell Platter 1.jpg

george likes this.
  3. Bomber Bob

At the other end is the thick Meniscus corrector. Oddly enough, neither this nor the primary mirror were ever baffled. I took care of that! In the picture, the baffle looks huge, but it's actually just 2.25" across.

MM6_S45 - Secondary Baffle Attached.jpg

On the front side, I enlarged my first black circle with more chalkboard paint.

MM6_S49 - Secondary Spot Enlarged.jpg

george likes this.
  4. Bomber Bob

Baffling options for the primary were limited by the brass threaded pipe the Builder epoxied into the center hole. I attached a vinyl ring around it, then wrapped a light plastic pipe with flat black foam (it won't damage the optics if it comes loose).

MM6_S34 - Primary Baffle Parts.jpg
    MM6_P38 - Primary Baffle Attached.jpg

5. Bomber Bob

For the paint, I chose mocha for the tube, and espresso for the trim, which coordinates with the vintage Spiratone 10x50 finder.

MM6_S42 - OTA Reassembled (Right Side).jpg
    This is a stubby but HEAVY scope. Most times, it'll be on the Meade pedestal mount I made for the Tinsley Cassegrain, but the MM6 can also ride on the Edmund 4" refractor's GEM & tripod.

MM6_S50 - Official Glamour Shot 6.jpg

KeithF likes this.
  6. Bomber Bob

How are the views? I bought this scope back in March 2015. My initial star tests back then were good - on axis - but there was a lot of glare. The baffling cut this to negligible, and boosted the contrast. I don't what company made the optics, but they are on par with my Questar. Saturn is stunning - even at its lower altitude. The FOV is tiny, but I don't mind. The MM6 is much more practical than a 6" F23 refractor, and has ZERO false color. Getting 173x from an HD OR20 is too cool!

Zigarro likes this.
  7. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Looks great, very nice restoration job.

8. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

That's a fantastic looking scope! Wow! Your handiwork really has paid off extremely well.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping to hear about your tests in-the-wild once you get the time. An F/23 Maksutov-Cassegrain is truly something you don't see everyday or night.

I stand amazed & can feel the excitement from here -

Dave

9. Bomber Bob

Thanks y'all! Originally I saw this as a city scope, but with the rings and anodized steel thumbscrews it is secure on the Edmund mount, so it can be a field scope... For what? Globulars! It has near refractor contrast & resolution, and the small FOV isn't a limitation on these DSOs. I doubt it'll go out to the country often - it's a chore to tote!

10. Bomber Bob

Made these comparison sketches between my Edmund 4" F15 and the Mystery Mak last weekend:

ESC4_MM6 - Jupiter Sketches 20170430 T02.jpg

Dave In Vermont and Nebula like this.
  11. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

JW, your Mak restoration is nothing short of magnificent in every way. WOW!!!, what a beauty, especially atop that equally beautiful vintage mount. From the detail you show in your sketches I can tell the optics are very good.

Ed D

Bomber Bob likes this.
  12. Bomber Bob

Thanks! This Mak beats my very good RV-6 on Jupiter & Saturn, and runs even with my 6" F20 Tinsley Cass. Wish I knew where the ATM got the optics set.

13. Scopejunkie

Scopejunkie Well-Known Member

Nice scope Bob. As a lunar/planetary observer, I'm green with envy :) Hope it serves you well.
    Keith (Scopejunkie)

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Thanks @Scopejunkie for the resurrection if this thread.

@Bomber Bob I like your way of sketching the planet Jupiter, it looks like a very efficient way of doing things with the rectangle shape. Very nice!