Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Virtual Planets Atlas Pro Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Astronomy Software, Apps, and Websites' started by Mak the Night, Feb 4, 2017.

Virtual Planets Atlas Pro Version 2.0

Started by Mak the Night on Feb 4, 2017 at 6:28 AM

10 Replies 1956 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

December 2016 : Version 2.0
    On 2014, we have presented the «Virtual Planets Atlas » (VPA) Version 1.0, the most complete planetary atlas for computers More and more topographic and scientific datas become available for telluric planets and Solar System satellites, datas brought back by an increasing fleet of performing probes sent by the various space agencies (USA mainly, Europe and others).
    We are pleased to announce you today that we put online the official Pro 2.0 version of VPA.
    For this second version, JUPITER PLANET AND ITS FOUR GALILEAN SATELLITES have been added to the three planets yet integrated in version 1.0 ( Mercury, Venus & Mars ) since present technics of planetary imaging allow amateur astrophotographers to obtain details on surfaces of galilean satellites (Io, Ganymede…). ~ op cit

vpa1.jpg

Now with added Jupiter!

http://ap-i.net/avp/en/start

This will also link to Cartes du Ciel (Sky Chart) if you have it installed and you can open a particular planet/moon's position in real time in CDC from the VPA.

vpa2.jpg

2. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

I tried to d/l this Dave, but I get to the download requirements page and that's it. I've had PC issues recently so perhaps it's on my end?

3. Mak the Night

When you get to the download requirements page you just click the link of the OS you're running. I'm running it on Win 7. I ran the VMA and CDC on Linux (they’re all coded by Patrick Chevalley).

After clicking the link you'll be redirected to SourceForge. Some browsers (Google Chrome) and adblockers may block the SourceForge page because of the earlier predilection of SF bundling PUP's (Open Candy) with some installers/binaries. They have cleaned their act up in recent months though.

virtual.jpg

It is wise to give the installer a quick scan with any AV/anti-malware programs before you run it though just as a precaution.

sf1.jpg

4. Zigarro

Ok, I'll give it another try- thanks.

5. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I downloaded/installed this 2.0-version a few days ago. And scanned it for any nasties (clear by Kaspersky & Malwarebytes). 1.5+ GB all-told. Running Windoze 8.1.

If problems persist - send me a PM. I'll get you the contact address for the developers. I'm sure they'd like to know!

Dave

6. Mak the Night

7. Dave In Vermont

Now it makes sense! So it links with Cartes du Ciel (Sky Charts) - which is French. And the developers of VPA 2.0 are also French.

"Dawn Breaks on Marblehead."

Dave

8. Mak the Night

Yes, they all link. You can open VPA at Jupiter then open CDC from VPA itself and it will show you Jupiter's position in CDC. At least they're accurate about the GRS position, unlike some other French astronomical software *cough* Stellarium lol. Chevalley's on record as saying his stuff will always be freeware as he'd rather astronomers bought another eyepiece than spend money on software. I like his attitude. I have French relatives and I know that software development is huge in France as the government invests money into it.

9. Zigarro

Thanks but I'm sure it's my PC. I had a geek in last Nov. to bring me back from the "Black Screen of Death" and all she could achieve was 'lite-mode"? I'll be replacing the tower soon as I quit spending $$ on astro- stuff! ;)

10. Mak the Night

Is it a software or a hardware problem? I converted my old Belnea laptop to Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr LTS a couple of years ago after Vista crashed and burned. I got a perpetual BSOD so wiped it and installed Ubuntu from an image burned to a DVD. You can download an image from the Ubuntu site. I have a Lenovo latop preinstalled with Ubuntu now. Who needs an anti virus lol?

https://www.ubuntu.com

Ubuntu radiance plus Docky.jpg

You can see the Belnea here running Ubuntu a couple of years ago with a Mac style dock. Stellarium and KStars are on the dock, as well as the Vivaldi, Firefox and Chromium browsers. Stellarium works really well on UNIX, best not to talk about the Windows version lol.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  11. Dave In Vermont

If it were not for the "Classic Shell" I run to make 8.1 look more like XP - I'd have posted a video on YouTube of my computer being run-over by the 4:10pm freight-train to Saint Albans.

"If you can't read - just poke the screen!"

ACK!!

Dave the Exasperated