Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

class="prefix prefixSkyBlue">Need Feedback Volunteers wanted: nebulae outlines for Stellarium/SkyChart

Discussion in 'Astronomy Software, Apps, and Websites' started by alexwolf, Aug 6, 2017.

Volunteers wanted: nebulae outlines for Stellarium/SkyChart

Started by alexwolf on Aug 6, 2017 at 8:38 AM

13 Replies 351 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. alexwolf

alexwolf Member

Today Stellarium's development team published version 0.90.0.9732 with support of outlines for deep-sky objects.

We use the compatible with SkyChart (Cartes du Ciel) format of file for storing an outlines data for deep-sky objects. For example the outline for M42 is represented by this lines:
    Code:
    05.56401 -05.49880 start M 42
    05.56759 -05.39201 vertex
    05.56635 -05.31749 vertex
    05.57158 -05.21922 vertex
    05.57601 -05.21716 vertex
    05.58830 -05.30164 vertex
    05.59140 -05.34341 vertex
    05.59028 -05.37076 vertex
    05.59008 -05.38175 vertex
    05.59581 -05.37159 vertex
    05.59943 -05.47123 vertex
    05.59912 -05.65838 vertex
    05.59520 -05.73212 vertex
    05.58490 -05.68102 vertex
    05.56948 -05.57675 end
    First column is right ascension in decimal hours, the second column is declination in decimal degrees and third column is command (start, vertex, end). The command 'start' has name of DSO also.

Our outlines.dat file was partially got from CdC/SkyChart.

Now we want to get a volunteers, who can help us create a good outlines for big deep-sky objects for two projects - Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel/SkyChart.

2. alexwolf

alexwolf Member

OK, maybe someone has pictures or drawings for the DSO outlines?

3. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Our local CdC expert is Mak the Night, Alex. You can find a link to start a conversation (PM - Private Message) to him from his profile-page. Just under his image you'll find a a link to do so:

https://astronomyconnect.com/forums/members/mak-the-night.2050/

I hope this helps!

Dave

p.s. I've installed the 0.90.0.16188. So far it's running great!

4. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I have to decline the offer for being a volunteer. I am not the right person for the job unfortunately.

5. Dave In Vermont

Well Neb's - reports or not, it's also fun to drop a copy of the latest 'beta' and see how well it works! Sometimes it's better in remarkable ways - like the time it started showing topographically detailed planetary surface-features. That was marvelous!

I've been tinkering with the latest 'beta' Alex just dropped in to give up. It's quite impressive!

6. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I need to learn how to do it with linux mint, to install things that are not inside the repository. Sometimes it's easy to do but not all the time, installing can be complicated you need to have the right files, the right dependency, you need to update various things.

When it's not working you need to spend substantial amount of time reading. It took 5 attempts for me to be able to install Carte du Ciel which is not in the synaptic repository. (And I don't even use it)

That's a bit why I am not involved in beta testing. When I really need something, Ill do it but right now i am still impressed with Stellarium 0.14.3-1

I am a lazy bastard!

7. Dave In Vermont

I wouldn't recommend dropping a 'beta' for Stellarium 0.18.3 on top of a 0.14.3. I think your old 'Stella' might give you something like this:

Atomic Testing.jpg

On the bright side, I do still have a copy of 0.14.3 Full Install should you ever need one.

Nebula likes this.
  8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Actually @Dave you gave me the motivation to learn something. I started the process of understanding how to install 0.18.1 and I was about to say it was a failure

Apparently, it was a success:
    [​IMG]

Except the satellite plug in crashed at startup of the application. Or something related to satellites.. But the good news, I have stable release 0.18.1 now.

9. Dave In Vermont

A chunk of advice to you, Nebs, and anyone else:

When (If) you decide to update to another (newer) version of Stellarium down-the-road, watch what you are doing before you 'click' NEXT. One of those boxes will contain a series of square boxes that say things like Remove all Data on Settings....Etc. If you check these, you will be removing the settings - which YOU set so Stellarium is customized the ways you worked so hard to put into effect. Like the color of your lines denoting the Equatorial-Grid and the Orbital-Lines and Colors for each Planet in our Solar-System. In other words - your Stellarium will come out showing you a grassy-field like it was when you first downloaded and installed your Stellarium that very first time! So.....

Make certain to Un-Check all those little boxes. Read and FULLY understand each step, unless you enjoy repeating all your work! :p

If in doubt? Come to us - or other places that can help that you know of - and ask! We're here to help!

Dave

10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the same thing with linux, there are no wizards for installation. Although it would be nice to save the files containing my occulars information to simply transfer to a new revision.

11. Dave In Vermont

Neb's? This is not a "Windows-Thang" - this is a Stellarium Installation thing. Just bear this in mind, when you next upgrade to a new version, or a 'beta.'

12. Dave In Vermont

Oh yes -

If your settings for views through oculars are entered into Stellarium, it's very important to watch-out for those those 'little boxes' to be un-checked during each update, this so your settings will travel along with the update(s).

An old dog learning new tricks!

13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I don't know how to transfer the configs from linux yet, it's not a .exe you simply execute to upgrade to the new version where you follow the installation wizard, we don't have that in Linux. Installing a program can have different level of difficulties from easy to hard.

There is a way to save the configs, but I don't know how it's done with Stellarium. Occasionally, and depending of the application, you have to go find the config files manually in the right directory then you make a copy of these files. Then after the new installation is done, you can put the config files inside the new directories.

Sometimes it will keep the old files too.

I would need to read about it, this could take 5 minutes, 30 minutes or even 1 hour I never can tell in advance. :confused:

14. Dave In Vermont

I can see I'll not be touching Linux anytime soon! Phooey on that!

I hope you have an external hard-drive and you back-up everything you do & care about. I have 2 E-HD's.