Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Welcome to Galaxy Central!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Feb 27, 2018.

Welcome to Galaxy Central!

Started by Orion25 on Feb 27, 2018 at 6:16 PM

360 Replies 50596 Views 4 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

The last one is my favorite! Actually I think it's a tie with the first. Very nice! Did you catch Avani's latest? The animation of Jupiter that he and a friend of his conncocted?

We're in high-winds with stronger gusts, and the temperatures are falling. We've got up to 110°F. with high-humidity this weekend, Reggie. First time in history a temperature over 95°F. has been forecast here! Nightime is forecast in the 70°'F's. which is great!

2. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Dave, and YES, I saw that AMAZING animation Avani's friend made. I knew something fabulous was coming, lol! Wow, 95/75 degrees for Vermont! That's very hot for youze guys!

3. Dave In Vermont

100°F. to 110°F. actually + high-humidity.

Lordy! Never before in our history.

4. Orion25

Dust storm notwithstanding, I attempted more images of Mars using the same basic setup: Orion 180 mm Mak, Deep Space Video Camera II, Orion 2x Shorty Barlow, with the addition of the new Orion 5MP StarShoot Solar System Camera. It was about 2 a.m. EDT and Mars was just reaching a suitable elevation. It was pleasantly cool (in the upper 60's F, approximately 18 degrees C) with just me, the resident hoot owl and the beautiful cricket symphony once again. A thunderstorm had just passed a few hours prior and the sky was clearing nicely. The atmosphere had settled down by this time, with only a little turbulence visible at those extreme Mak powers. I did several minutes of high power observing (300x), of a mostly smooth peach orb with hints of bright albedo features near the poles, and some barely visible scattered dark features through the dust (the Orion Mars filter helped slightly with the darker features). This was a more detailed apparition than last week's, and the cameras drew out more detail than I could see visually. There's hope! I took video with and without the barlow and used both cameras alternately to compare the results. Fortunately, there were no computer crashes this time; everything went smoothly. I also included my first official Mars image of the season from June 10 to show how much the dust storm has affected the view over time and how much larger the planet had grown in just a few weeks.

Here is the non-barlowed image with the DSVC II:
    [​IMG]
    Here is the barlowed image:
    [​IMG]

Here is the barlowed image using the 5MP StarShoot camera (more detail and a little less pinkish):
    [​IMG]

Now, here is the barlowed image from June 10 using the DVSC II (much smaller and more detailed):
    [​IMG]

I plan on doing some imaging each weekend right up to perigee to compare size and detail. Things should be interesting in the coming weeks! :p

5. Dave In Vermont

As I just added to the 'Mars Filter' thread - the reports all are suggesting this Dust-Storm is weakening, and all looks a general clearing ahead of the actual Opposition starting in earnest.

That last image shows this quite clearly, Reggie! Most well indeed!

Thanks!

Orion25 likes this.
  6. Orion25

A comparative view of Mars, its apparent growth in size and the effect of the dust storm:

ASTRONOMY - MARS COMPARISON 6-10 & 6-29-18 CAPTION.jpg

Nebula and Dave In Vermont like this.
  7. Orion25

Thank you for the encouraging report! I'll be observing and imaging in earnest over the next few weeks!

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

that's a very interesting comparative this last picture @reggie that is one hell of a storm.. covering the entire planet. This planet must have a very different core structure to behave like that, things we don't understand today.

One word, unbelievable.

thanks for sharing these pictures, has well has the previous shots of mars using different cameras and barlows.

Orion25 likes this.
  9. Orion25

Even after all this time, Mars is such a mystery. There is so much to learn. The cosmos is truly unbelievable!

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  10. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Another mystery last night, I saw a weird kind of thunderstorm. There was lightnings in low clouds for about 1 hours (perhaps more), but at the rate of 3 4 bolts per seconds.. for 1 hour. like if it was some kind of static cloud. First time I see something like that, it looked like a scene from war of the worlds. And the other half of the sky , 100% clear sky with the stars and everything.

That was probably one of the hottest night too, in the 30 Celsius, AT NIGHT.

Very very strange phenomenon, all this was totally silent, no thunder at all. There was way too much energy generated there.

Dave In Vermont and Orion25 like this.
  11. Dave In Vermont

Hey Reggie, and all - I don't know if you've read the 'Welcome to Stellarium!' yet today, but Alex was here and told us that Stellarium 0.18.1 - the newest major release - is out today!

Alex also printed-out the (large) Changelog for this from version 0.18.0.

I'm off to install. And a Beta of Stellarium Web is out, too! Big Day for us Stellarium fans & supporters!

<POIT!>​

Orion25 likes this.
  12. Orion25

Thanks for the heads up, Dave! I'll be installing, soon!

13. Orion25

I did some observing and imaging on the night/morning of July 5/6 of a mostly clouded-over Mars. Through the EP Mars was bold and bright, but with only minor hints of albedo features near the poles; it was still mostly smooth, even more than last time. I created a composite image from several observations since last month using the Orion Deep Space Camera II with my Orion SkyView Pro 180mm Mak, processed in Registax 6:

ASTRONOMY - MARS COMPARISON (DSC BIG MAK) 6-10, 6-29 & 7-06-18 CAPTION.jpg
    You can easily see how the dust storm has progressively taken over the Red Planet. You can also see the change in apparent size of Mars as it gets closer.

Here is a composite of two images taken using the Orion SolarShoot 5MP Solar System Camera with the same telescope. This camera teases out a bit more detail, but as you can see, Mars is getting cloudier for the time being:

ASTRONOMY - MARS (5MP COMPARISON) 6-29 & 7-06-18 CAPTION.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Nebula likes this.
  14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

That's an interesting log of the progression of this storm in your picture, thanks for sharing them. I will save them if you want has a record of 2018. This record will last for a very long time. Thanks for sharing it.

I looked at Mars on July 6th (views were very similar to your picture from the same date) and I could see hints of albedos in the middle of the planet visually. Conditions were no very good but the shades were there, hopefully the storm will come to an end soon and we might have views similar to you June 10th picture. ;)

I hope I hope.

Orion25 likes this.
  15. Orion25

Thanks, Neb, and do please save them as a record if you wish :). I plan on getting images up to the opposition and perhaps a few months afterwards to show the progression (and hopefully dispersion) of the dust storm. Please, share your observations and sketches of Mars as well in the Den ;)

16. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I shall add some material in the Den soon, yes. (; thanks for reminding me about it.

Orion25 likes this.
  17. Orion25

I couldn't resist this beautiful pairing of the Goddess of Love (Venus) and Regulus. They've been dancing closely over the past few nights!

Nikon D3200, 300mm zoom lens, ISO 800, f/5.6, 1 sec exposure:

ASTRONOMY - VENUS & REGULUS CONJUNCTION 7-09-18 SM.jpg

Magnifique!
    Reggie

Nebula likes this.
  18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

A great pair of objects in the same picture. We can even see the blue color of Regulus in your picture, that's a Spectral type B7V, for the main star, quite hot blue star. I like these bright blue stars.

Regulus, also designated Alpha Leonis (α Leonis, abbreviated Alpha Leo, α Leo), is the brightest star in the constellation of Leo and one of the brightest stars in the night sky, lying approximately 79 light years from the Sun.[1] Regulus is a multiple star system composed of four stars that are organized into two pairs. The spectroscopic binary Regulus A consists of a blue-white main-sequence star and its companion, which has not yet been directly observed, but is probably a white dwarf.[5] Located farther away are Regulus B, C, and D, which are dim main-sequence stars.

Good selection of objects and shot @reggie

Orion25 likes this.
  19. Orion25

Thanks, Neb. The two objects will be relatively close for several more nights but are now moving farther apart. They make a striking pair, don't they?

20. Orion25

Greetings!
    I've been away for the past few days from AC, busy under the stars ! Here are the fruits of my labor:

These composite images were taken from video shot on the Orion StarShoot 5MP Solar System Camera (top) and the Orion Deep Space Camera II (bottom) with my Orion SkyView Pro 180mm Mak from 29 June to 21 July, processed in Registax. Slightly more dark detail was visible visually on the 21st compared to a week earlier; the area appeared almost like a shadow on a bright, almost white orb. I couldn't see much albedo in the polar regions through the scope. Transparency was very good and seeing improved from average to very good as Mars gained elevation. The Orion 5MP camera revealed some faint dark regions but very little polar albedo on 21 July:

ASTRONOMY - MARS (5MP COMPARISON) 6-29, 7-06, 7-13 & 7-21-18 CAPTION.jpg

The Orion Deep Space Camera II didn't reveal as much dark detail as the 5MP but captured some polar albedo on 21 July:

ASTRONOMY - MARS COMPARISON (DSC BARLOW) 6-10, 6-29, 7-06, 7-13 & 7-21-18 CAPTION.jpg

Excited about my newly-arrived Celestron Mars Filter, I was able to compare it with the Orion offering. By looking at the two filters side by side, the Celestron (left) appears lighter in color and pinkish whereas the Orion filter (right) has a rich, purplish hue:

MARS FILTER COMPARISON A SM.jpg

MARS FILTER COMPARISON B SM.jpg

The Orion filter also has a slightly bigger housing. No threading problems with the Celestron to any of my EPs (mostly Orions, a GSO, a Meade, and a BST), and each filter can be attached to the other if so desired for a hot pink experience, lol. In practice (through the scope), however, I couldn't see any noticeable color difference (at least on Mars, I didn't compare them on anything else). As far as detail, the Celestron initially seemed to have the slight edge, but as the night progressed, I could see less difference between the two (possibly eye fatigue). There was some light scatter with both filters but not too bad. I even stacked the two which gave Mars a deeper pink hue and slightly more contrast in the dark regions but still ghostly. With Mars being so bright, pale and un-Mars-like in color, the filters actually made it look more natural!

I also received my ZWO ASI224MC over the weekend, but my initial results were not all that impressive on Mars, but I got a decent Saturn image. I have a IR/UV cut filter on the way, and I'll probably get an ADC, soon. I'm still learning Firecapture so it'll be a minute before I post any ZWO images, lol! I'm also anticipating some filters: #82A, #11, #8, and #23A to add to my growing collection. You guys got me caught up in the filter craze!

LESS THAN A WEEK TO OPPOSITION!

EXCELSIOR!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018