Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Welcome to Galaxy Central!

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Feb 27, 2018.

Welcome to Galaxy Central!

Started by Orion25 on Feb 27, 2018 at 6:16 PM

360 Replies 50590 Views 4 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Dave and Mak. Venus and Mercury are going to be close for several more days. I hope you get a break in the weather to see their dance before Mercury transcends, lol. I can't wait until Mercury's elongation on the 15th and Venus is making a slow climb. Here is video from the same evening I took the picture. Watch out for geese!

HONK! HONK! :p:p

Nebula and Mak the Night like this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

I think Brandon's are designed to look AT, not THROUGH. Keep 'em in their polished wooden-box on the desk of a corporate-exec. to show they have 'intellectual-prowess.'

Like the old Questar® mini-Maksutovs.

I, too, shall be sticking to my Orthoscopics.

(*< kwak! kwak!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  3. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

NOW I see why this filter was strongly suggested! Nice! Maybe that's a good one to try, Reggie? The GSO #38A <edit> is only $13.00 delivered. And it's every bit as good (or better) than Baader, Brandon, etc.
    [​IMG]

@Dave In Vermont I saw your picture from a few pages ago, it's incredible on the mares the 38a, exactly has your picture shows. That,s the exact same effect I noticed. that's an Unique filter. (; I am glad you like it.

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  4. Dave In Vermont

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Orion25

Your video is seriously boosting my motivation, seeing Venus at dusk like that. These moments are very important in life and you captured one. The orange to blue gradian is perhaps one of the most beautiful thing.

Yesss (; thanks for sharing.

Orion25 likes this.
  6. Dave In Vermont

I just corrected a glitch in that Pdf. If you grabbed one, toss it and take this one instead.

So Close! Venus and Mercury After Sunset.pdf

The one above is also corrected now.

P.S.- thanks, Nebs. I'll have fun with it I'm sure!

Attached Files:

Nebula likes this.
  7. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

«In the picture I notice another similar effect to my own visual experience. The very white craters will strangely pop out with many details. Like spot lights.

Good times.

@Dave In Vermont nice pictures in the PDF, I am reading the paper a bit right now.

8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Great little PDF @Dave In Vermont it's actually making me think right now about a plan to look at Mercury and Venus. But especially Mercury which I find mysterious. It's not going to reveal much.. but I know where to go to be able to look at it when it's that low.

A medium low power observation.. with maybe the help of Wratten Red 25, Light Red 23a and Orange #21. to see the effect against day light.

It should be fun

9. Dave In Vermont

For Mercury here, I need to go to my local park, which has an excellent view across Lake Champlain to the West, and the Adirondack Mountains beyond. Then you need to hustle before Mercury dives behind these mountains.

It usually turns into an impromptu outreach-event - with people asking me what I'm looking at, and my teaching an informal class in stellar-physics and such! :p

I always carry my green-laser. People love that!

10. Dave In Vermont

Hey Folks - If you found yourselves unable to use A-C from last evening - my time - until you got back in, you weren't alone. I started a thread up in the first section of 'AstronomyConnect Announcements' to address this. Your additions are most welcome!

D.

11. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Probably routine maintenance Dave.

12. Dave In Vermont

I hope so. Wish George would occasionally give us advance warning if so.

Instead, I ended up hanging out with a squad of crazy Little-Old-Ladies I enjoy in a gaming-site while multi-tasking with some papers for my files! :D

Want a link? :p

13. Mak the Night

I think I'll pass. I made do with Life on Mars reruns.

14. Dave In Vermont

I pity you! That looks hideous! :p

I'd rather watch our 'The History Channel' with such insightful programmes as "Jesus: What He Told the Aliens!"

<retch!>

15. Mak the Night

The US remake was dreadful. The original UK version was hugely successful and influential. It was a blend of science fantasy, humour, pathos, speculative fiction and postmodern cultural references.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Mars_(UK_TV_series)

serveimage.jpeg

Notwithstanding featuring the British designed Ford Cortina. The Cortina was incredibly successful for Ford UK and became a household name in the '70s. It's become a design icon ever since.

16. Dave In Vermont

I'd be inclined to export them. With a brick on the accelerator and right off the White Cliffs of Dover...

I never drove a car (except in a few emergency situations), or got a license to do so. At age 16 (our standard age for a permit), I was teaching chemistry in a high-school and working 18+ hours a day as a student in grad. school level chemistry myself. No time to catch "The Car-Bug" - a disease of adolescence with the key symptom of an insatiable desire to wrap 'Daddy's' car around a tree or phone-pole.

DEATH TO HENRY FORD!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  17. Mak the Night

In a previous incarnation Inspector Morse aka John Thaw was Jack Regan of 'The Sweeney' (rhyming slang = Sweeney Todd/Flying Squad).

It was a hugely successful 70's police procedural in the UK and featured another famous British designed Ford. The Granada or *Consul was a powerful up market Ford saloon and coupe with a 3 litre V6 engine. At the time they were actually used by various British police forces, especially the London Flying Squad, as pursuit cars.

That tanned Granada in The Sweeney became symbolic of British police procedural TV shows in the 1970's with their violence and realistic portrayals of policing. The image of the tanned Granada, flared trousers and horrendous shirts wasn't lost on the creators of Life on Mars, hence the tanned Cortina. A cultural reference you probably wouldn't get if you weren't British.

*Granada TV wouldn't let Ford UK use the name 'Granada' until Ford UK won the case in court so it was known as the 'Consul' for a while.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  18. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Dave In Vermont
    No time to catch "The Car-Bug" - a disease of adolescence with the key symptom of an insatiable desire to wrap 'Daddy's' car around a tree or phone-pole.

heheheh :D

For Mercury here, I need to go to my local park, which has an excellent view across Lake Champlain to the West, and the Adirondack Mountains beyond. Then you need to hustle before Mercury dives behind these mountains.

It usually turns into an impromptu outreach-event - with people asking me what I'm looking at, and my teaching an informal class in stellar-physics and such! :p

I always carry my green-laser. People love that!

My spot will be close to an airport so I will not risk using my green laser. I have a 20mw green laser modified to work with 4x C Duracell batteries instead of 2 AAA. No need to say it can work for a very long amount of time now.. But i never use it.

Yep I noticed AC was down last night.

19. Mak the Night

I couldn't resist this.

20. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

I was bummed about not being able to get on AC as well. Figured it was a maintenance issue, but I agree with you, Dave. Let us know, lol! BTW, I got my Mars filter yesterday - along with clouds and rain! I can't wait to put it through its paces. Everything gets the pink treatment, haha!