Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

What a Great Morning

Discussion in 'Observing Celestial Objects' started by Ed D, Mar 9, 2019.

What a Great Morning

Started by Ed D on Mar 9, 2019 at 5:48 AM

11 Replies 183 Views 5 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

This morning I did something I haven't done in far too long. I couldn't sleep because of too many different things happening and stressing me out, causing a lot of anxiety. At around 4:00am I decided to actually take out my "Maserati", the TeleVue TV-85, and observe Jupiter. I set it up on the Twilight I mount, using around 133x magnification, an ideal power for observing this celestial gem.

Oh my, I had forgotten how relaxing it is to simply take in such a beautiful view in the relaxing tranquility of early morning. Jupiter has certainly changed compared to last season. Most striking is the equatorial region, how it has changed in color and composition. I had forgotten how wonderful it is to observe the festoons and other features in the belts and zones. The dance of the moons is something else that captivates me, two of them being shy this morning and hiding from view behind the planet. I was immersed in observing this mesmerizing planet even though it was showing me its most bland face.

My "Lab assistant" decided to wake up and join me, as she usually does when I'm outside observing or imaging. As morning twilight neared I could hear the chirping and songs of the birds, breaking up the silence as they happily awakened to a new day. As twilight progressed I noticed how much more vivid and detailed the view of the planet became. I also noticed how the sun began heating up the atmosphere and the effect it was having on my focus and views.

Finally, all good things come to an end, and it was so with my early morning observation. I brought the scope and mount inside as one unit easily enough, letting it sit for a while before putting it all away. My Lab assistant started "hounding" me, and I rewarded her for all her "help" with the usual morning meal, today being chicken and veggies.

As for the stress and anxiety, I believe the worst is behind me and things are starting to fall in place. I believe this great morning is a good omen for things to come.

Ed D

Boo Boo in Yard 12-07-2018.jpg
    My Lab Assistant

bladekeeper, Orion25, Gabby76 and 2 others like this.
  2. Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

I got up at my regular time this morning and when I looked outside the sky was clear and beautiful. That wasn't what was called for and I thought I probably missed out on some good observing. I have been planning on switching to early morning observing and this morning I thought that I should start getting up at a certain time and checking the sky regardless of what the weather report says.

3. Leonard

Leonard Well-Known Member

I really liked that post. And u had a great companion, such a nice looking dog. Hardly anything like a good dog.

And just so u know, I’m sorry to hear bout ur troubles and whatever is bringing on your anxiety.

I have often told others when asked what I “see” in this hobby, that one great benefit I get from observing is the relaxation it brings. I don’t do pics. I am strickly a visual observer. I love the simplicity if it all. Just me, my equipment, and the sky.

And when I see the greatness of the cosmos, it helps. It’s hard to explain why. And that maybe the beauty of it all. It just works.

So, here’s to many more wonderful nights out with your assistant.

Seer likes this.
  4. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Love your report, Ed. I get an entirely different energy from early morning observing, like you're getting a head start while the planet has yet to wake. I was fascinated by Venus this morning as I was on my way to work. First clear morning in several days. Wonderful assistant you have there, too! I'm hoping things will fall into place for you. Here's to more peaceful morning observations!:cool:

5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses. I had forgotten how wonderful it is to observe planets in the morning tranquility, not to mention the best skies of the day, most of the time, anyway.

Ed D

Gabby76 likes this.
  6. Leonard

Planets in the early morning. Yep, that’s a recipe for peace. I have had some memorable views of Jupiter and Saturn in the predawn skies.

I have read that if you keep tracking you can observe a planet all day long (unless it nears the sun). And, if u know the coordinates it can always be found. I’ve never done that myself, but I might as well give it a try.

7. kevan hubbard

kevan hubbard Well-Known Member

I almost never observer pre dawn since I' m asleep!on rare occasions that I am up at such an ungodly hour, usually to do with work or travel, I always,if it's clear,do love the views of Venus and whatever else inhabitants the pre dawn sky as I walk into town.usually almost 100 percent naked eye astronomy at such an hour in my case.

8. Leonard

It’s funny. Before I became an amateur astronomer I seldom noticed the sky except for a storm or an unusual event. Now, I always take a look.

9. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I have seen Saturn at about 4pm. It wasn't visible to the naked eye but I knew it was near the Moon on 11th of November last year.

1.jpg

I found it with my 90mm Mak and a polarising filter.

2.jpg

At about 50x I could see the rings, although all colour was bleached out.

3.jpg

It looked a bit like the SkySafari screenshot above.

10. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I have set up my driven GEM before in the pre-dawn hours and tracked Jupiter well into the morning. It's a different perspective. But, the best time to observe planets is definitely during morning or evening twilight, morning being my favorite.

Ed D

11. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Jupiter can be good to observe in twilight, particularly with a light blue filter (#82A) I find.

12. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

When the planets are just rising in the early evening it is easy to pick out details since you do not need to be dark adapted, by the time the skies have started to darken your eye is accustomed to viewing the bright object already so you are not losing any contrast in the view.
    At twilight a high thin viel of cloud can even act a bit like a polarizing filter and help bring out some details.

Orion25 and Ed D like this.