Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

What have you done to your scope

Discussion in 'Vintage Telescopes & Equipment' started by KeithF, Nov 18, 2015.

What have you done to your scope

Started by KeithF on Nov 18, 2015 at 6:14 PM

13 Replies 2651 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

How about a thread to share what you have done to your vintage telescopes. Things that might have been done as part of a restoration, or something that makes the scope more enjoyable to use. This might help give those new to vintage telescopes some ideas on what they can do with theirs.

I'll start with the improvements I made to the wooden case for my Bushnell Sky Chief Jr a couple months ago. This scope was a Goodwill purchase and the Styrofoam inserts were missing from the case.

This is how it looked when I got it. A previous owner had glued pieces of 2x4 in the case to secure the ota, and bolted a canvas belt in to secure the tripod. The eyepiece tray and a couple other parts just layed in the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used pictures from a post on CloudyNights.com to come up with plans for my case. And below are the results. I have refinished the tripod legs since these photo's were taken. I still need to find some matching blue paint to repaint the eyepiece tray and brackets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bomber Bob, StaringAtStars and george like this.
  2. clintwhitman

clintwhitman Well-Known Member

Hey Kieth your post slipped past me! Wonderful work on the case... I have repaired broken veneer and holders on some of my cases but never really have fully restored any of them.. To fixated on getting the scopes restored...

3. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

Thanks Clint! That case was just begging for a makeover. [​IMG]

Luckily most of my scopes and mounts were in pretty good shape. Sure, the ota's would look better with some new paint. All the mounts are still pretty smooth, even with the old grease. The only mount that needed work is the one for the Tasco 10TE. The grease turned to glue and it has a lot of slop in the RA section that is not caused by the worm gear. I just happened to have torn that one apart yesterday to clean and regrease it. The slop is still there but I did some research last night, and it looks like the factory used the wrong red gasket (bearing?) so I need to take it apart and redo that part. But hey, its nice and smooth now! [​IMG] Which is good because I just bought an AC motor for it. Unfortunately it spins CW and I need it to spin CCW, but it was the only one I could find with the correct speed. I'm hoping I'll be able to flip the stator in the motor to reverse it.

4. Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob Well-Known Member

Mixing Classic & Modern: Celestron PowerSeeker 114 on a Vixen Polaris GEM with Eagle surveyor tripod.

CPS114 on Polaris-Eagle.jpg

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  5. Bomber Bob

Finished rebuilding my 1971 Criterion RV-6 Dynascope yesterday.

RV-6 Rebuild - Complete S99.jpg

KeithF likes this.
  6. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

You're going to need to build an extension on that shed pretty soon JW!

Bomber Bob likes this.
  7. Bomber Bob

Well, I got the Unitron 152 and Orion XT12g sold, so there's some breathing room - at last!

8. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

I think you accidentally said "at last", when you ment "that won't last"! :p

9. Bomber Bob

Finished this one today:

Edmund DK4 T30 (OTA 1 Assembled).jpg

I cannibalized parts from a China-made 4.5" Newt, added a vintage helical focuser, and have a 1974 Edmund Scientific 4" F15 Dall-Kirkham Cassegrain. The mirror set is New Old Stock in its original box & wrappings with documents from 3B (the maker) and Edscorp. These are RARE. This OTA is a temporary test rig. If it performs well, I'll retool it for that vintage look.

10. Bomber Bob

Despite turbulence last night, I'm pleased with the Edmund DK4.

Edmund DK4 S71 (V1 Complete).jpg Edmund DK4 S72 (V1 Complete).jpg

Dave In Vermont likes this.
  11. Bomber Bob

Since it is an Edmund reflector, today I repainted it to match the 6001/8001 models of the 1970s:

Edmund DK4 T101 - V1 Tube and End Repaint.jpg Edmund DK4 T102 - V1 Tube and End Repaint.jpg

KeithF likes this.
  12. KeithF

KeithF Well-Known Member

That's gonna be purdy!

13. Bomber Bob

1974 Edmund (3B) 4" F15 D-K Cassegrain - COMPLETE

Edmund DK4 S110 - V1 Major OTA Components.jpg Edmund DK4 S201 - OTA Complete (Unmounted).jpg Edmund DK4 S302 - OTA Complete (Mounted).jpg

Odds are, this is my last ATM / made-from-scratch scope. Very good sky test tonight on Jupiter, M3, and selected doubles in Bootes & Virgo. Questar-like views, but brighter -- especially the disk of Jupiter.

Gabby76, Dave In Vermont and george like this.
  14. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

That looks to be one very interesting scope! I've never heard of Edmund Cassegrains before.

You've got my curiosity switched-on high now!

Thank you -

Dave