Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

What is your eyepiece bucket list?

Discussion in 'Eyepieces, Barlows, and Filters' started by CrazyPanda, Apr 13, 2018.

What is your eyepiece bucket list?

Started by CrazyPanda on Apr 13, 2018 at 2:45 PM

78 Replies 11226 Views 0 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

On a typical viewing night a refractor should be capable of keeping up with a reflector a couple of inches larger diameter.
    Under good seeing it should surpass it easily.
    It is a bit of a misunderstood concept that the extra "brightness" from the larger reflector can actually be washing out the subtle contrast needed to see finer details of an object.
    Diffraction caused by the secondary and vanes of a reflector rob you of contrast.

jgroub likes this.
  2. Gabby76

At a star party in Austria a couple of years ago there was a 203mm f/9 refractor set up by a 22" reflector.
    Both world class optics, most of the night the views were quite comparable.
    Once the skies steadied though the refractor "mopped the floor" with the reflector!
    Simply amazing views!

jgroub and Nebula like this.
  3. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

I so want to take my 102mm achro out now lol.

4. Gabby76

I know how you feel, when I get home I have spent more time looking over town with the new 102 f/11 and 102 f/13 than looking at the skies with them... :mad:

The skies never seem to cooperate when I am home!
    At work the longest session I have managed since the solar eclipse has been a bit over an hour. :(

5. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Mak the Night
    Ortho's are really good? ;)

I sent an e-mail to Kokusai Kohki this morning asking for an order on 1 Fujiyama 6mm OR-HD :) After my superb observation of Jupiter last night, the same scenario keeps repeating over and over.

4.7mm is always a bit too strong for any planets giving me blurry 212x and 7mm 143x is almost always usable on any planets... more cloud details could be seen with the 7mm Orthoscopic again. Because of that, I think the 6mm would fit well in the middle, very comfortably, giving 166x, 23x more then the 7mm to capture faint planetary details but still less then 200x.

I hope to receive good news about availability of the 6mm.

[​IMG]

jgroub and Gabby76 like this.
  6. Gabby76

Did you get a reply from them? Barry Gooley who was the importer for KK retired a few months ago and the production of them stopped shortly after.
    Most people have been contacting various shops trying to complete sets before them disappear completely.

7. Mak the Night

I have the 6mm Astro Hutech, which is the same thing. It rocks!

6mmahortho.jpg

Gabby76 likes this.
  8. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

@Gabby76

Oh that's bad news.. i am still waiting for an answer.

9. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

I wrote to Hutech to see if they still have a 6mm for me...

Gabby76 likes this.
  10. Gabby76

Since this is actually a "bucket list" I should post my picks :D

1. The Docter 12.5mm. If you ever wanted to see a 13mm Ethos cry, pair it against one of these!
    Most widefields use a barlow/ smythe lens to help with the 80°+ FOV but the Docter is unique in only using lens arrangement and not barlow/ smythe to cause subtle abberations and it shows in the view.
    http://www.apm-telescopes.de/de/oku.../docter-astro-okular-uwa-125mm.html?info=2573

2. I must say I am not a fan of widefield eyepieces (70°+) but these are 100% pure eye candy!!
    Truly spectacular views and when you think that you are actually getting 2 eyepieces in one they are no more expensive than a high priced TeleVue and you get the extra bonus of having a Nikon EiC-14 tele-extender to use with your other eyepieces!
    Does it get any better than that?? :D
    http://www.apm-telescopes.de/de/oku...n-nav-hw-12.5-mm-okular-korrektor-eic-10.html

3. For all the reasons stated above. :rolleyes:
    http://www.apm-telescopes.de/de/oku...kon-nav-hw-17-mm-okular-korrektor-eic-14.html

11. Gabby76

12. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

oufff thanks for the Takahashi link @Gabby76. but i hope this will settle like I want with a new Fijiyama, it was a perfect deal, great price top quality.

I am not ready to deliver too much efforts in this 6mm project. If I get good news then I spend the money, if not then I'll let go of this simply and take a day off with the money to actually use my 7mm Fujiyama. ;)

Gabby76 likes this.
  13. Gabby76

The Fujiyama are quite nice, good luck with the search.

14. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely @Gabby76 thanks, Ill put an update here when I get a reply.

All you dream eyepiece from your list, this is out of my league, but i guess they must be incredible. ;)

15. Gabby76

I could only borrow them as they are a bit out of my pricing range also :)
    Almost every one of my more “expensive” eyepieces has been purchased used.
    Unfortunately i have never seen a set of Nikon show on the european used market yet.

16. Mak the Night

I so want the 20mm & 40mm to complete my Meade 1.25" Plossl set now.

meades.jpg

Has anyone used the 56mm 2" Meade Plossl?

17. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Gabby, you're absolutely right, that is an excellent point. I didn't think of that. Thanks!

18. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

Whyyyyy????

If you do the math (I have), you'll find that the 40mm gives you the exact same view as the 32mm you already have . . . and with less magnification. The exact same size patch of sky in the 40 as in the 32, only it's smaller in the 40.

And my understanding is that you want that extra magnification. The more you magnify, the more you "spread out" the light pollution, with the result that the more contrast you see. Don't get the 40 if you already have the 32 (and you do).

Gabby76 likes this.
  19. Gabby76

Going the other direction a 24mm 68° AFOV has almost the same TFOV as a 32mm so benefit of more magnification with max FOV capable with a 1.25" format.

20. jgroub

jgroub Well-Known Member

The ES 24mm 68 gives a smidge more FOV than a 32mm Plossl. A smidge. Worth the $140? Nah. But I got mine as part of a NEAF sale for $99 - and I used credit card points to get it, so it was free. Er, "free".

The difference on my 5" Mak was about 1.10 degrees versus 1.06 degrees. So, like I said, a very small increase. My 32mm Plossl is still my finder EP: it lives in the scope. But I do use the ES 24 because it gives nice, immersive views. So I'm not sorry I bought it.