Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Zeiss Telementor 2

Discussion in 'Vintage Telescopes & Equipment' started by Bomber Bob, Mar 18, 2016.

Zeiss Telementor 2

Started by Bomber Bob on Mar 18, 2016 at 2:58 AM

3 Replies 2092 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob Well-Known Member

A Unitron 128 popped up on eBay yesterday, and I was one click away from the BIN (Buy It Now) button, and... it was gone! Just my luck. But every now & then, the vintage scope gods give me a break, and I didn't hesitate to click when this Zeiss Telementor 2 appeared as a BIN:

Zeiss T2 EB 01.jpg

KeithF and george like this.
  2. AstroLife

AstroLife Active Member

That's very sweet! Just curious - approx. how much does a T2 run today on the used market?

When I was a child and wanted my first scope, my dad went to the nearest and only optical store in our town (not in the US) - a Zeiss center. He brought home the double-sided marketing brochure that I obsessed over for months on end, knowing that it was way out of reach for us; little did I know at the time that Zeiss was a premium brand in the optical industry.

A few years later, I had the opportunity to use one owned by our local planetarium on their various solar outreach events while I volunteered there, but somehow I never got the opportunity to use it on the night sky.

Maybe I'll pick one up in the future just to fulfill my childhood desire :)

Harry D.

3. Bomber Bob

Auction prices vary widely. I saw a T1 go for $450 several years ago, but it was in rough cosmetic shape - the school kids must've really used it. I got mine for $800. It is near pristine. One sold on A-Mart for $1200, but it had the complete eyepiece set, including the highly desired OR6, and the wood cases, which mine doesn't have. But, mine has all of the documentation in German, which is pretty cool for an historian.

4. Bomber Bob

BBs Two 60mm Classic Refractors.jpg The Survivors: My two remaining 60mm classic refractors. Carl Zeiss Jena Telementor 2 and (pre-Astro Optical) Space Scope 151.