Telescope OTA Details
- 200mm (8") f/5 Newtonian Reflector - 1000mm focal length
- Fast F/5 parabolic primary mirror; 8x50 optical viewfinder
- 2" rack and pinion focuser with 1.25" adapter
- 1.25" 26mm and 9mm (38x and 111x) Plossl eyepieces
- Includes dovetail and tube rings
The Meade LX70 8" Newtonian Reflector is equipped with a high-quality f/5 parabolic primary mirror. This fast f/5 optical system provides spectacular wide-field images for the discriminating deep-sky observer and astro-photographer. Its 8" aperture allows it to resolve details down to 0.57 arc-seconds across and can be viewed using the two included 1.25" Plossl eyepieces (9mm & 26mm). With its 2" rack and pinion focuser, it is equipped to handle wide-field 2" eyepieces out of the box. The 8x50 optical viewfinder with cross-hair reticle makes locating faint object quickly and easily.
All LX70 optical tube assemblies come complete with an aluminum Vixen-style dovetail and dust covers, and they will provide their owner a lifetime of observing satisfaction. Optical tube weight is 20 pounds.
LX70 EQ Mount Details
- Meade LX70 German Equatorial Mount # 41-7100-00
- Includes heavy duty steel tripod and 11.4 lb counterweight
- Maximum recommended payload 20 lbs, excluding counterweight
- Includes slow motion controls (both axes) and eyepiece tray
- Vixen-style dovetail for telescope not included
Meade's new LX70 Series are high-quality German equatorially mounted telescopes with slow-motion controls and heavy-duty steel tripod. The Meade LX70 German EQ mount includes enhanced features including brass worm-gear drives on both axes for smooth tracking performance, aluminum setting circles and built-in leveling bubble. The large knob slow-motion control cables make it easy to track objects on those frigid nights when wearing gloves is a necessity. The mount accepts any vixen-style dovetail for mounting third party optical tubes up to 20 lbs.
The heavy-duty tripod is equipped with full size accessory tray and holders for both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces. When aligning on the celestial poles, precision push-pull adjustments in both azimuth and elevation make it a breeze. The elevations built-in micrometer scale will help you dial in your site latitude quickly every time.
With Meade's optional 670010 polar scope, finding the celestial poles with high accuracy is easy. Combined with Meade's optional 670011 dual axis motor drives, the LX70 German Equatorial mount becomes an imaging platform ideal for high-performance observing or astrophotography. The Meade LX70 mount is designed to keep you looking up for many years to come.
- German EQ Mount with slow motion controls
- Steel tripod
- Mount weight 9 pounds
- Tripod weight 12 pounds
- Tripod height adjustable from 33 to 46 inches tall
- Tripod footprint 38" leg tip to leg tip
- Maximum recommended payload 20 pounds, excluding counterweight
- Single 11.4 pound counterweight
- Polar scope and dual axis drive sold separately
Dec 30, 2016
Meade LX70 R8 telescopePros: Cons: Comments:
The scope was a Christmas present for my wife. She was thrilled when she opened the box, and spent Christmas day reading all about the setup. We have not tried it out as of yet, but it looks like she will be spending a lot of time star gazing. The biggest problem we have encountered is where to store it when not in use.
This review was provided courtesy of AgenaAstro.comSort by
|Telescope Aperture||7.99" (203mm)|
|Telescope Aperture||5in - 8in|
|Telescope Series||Meade LX70|