Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Annual Orion Nebula Photo

Discussion in 'Astrophotography and Imaging' started by Orion25, Jan 4, 2022.

Annual Orion Nebula Photo

Started by Orion25 on Jan 4, 2022 at 8:22 PM

9 Replies 1194 Views 3 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Orion25

Orion25 Well-Known Member

Here is the best of several images I took of the Orion Nebula for my yearly post (unless I take some better ones, lol):

ASTRONOMY - ORION NEBULA 1-03-22 A 006 BEST FIX (ISO 3200) SM.jpg

But, I believe this one from 2020 is my overall best:

ASTRONOMY - ORION NEBULA D3200 (ISO 1600) 1-19-20 CAPTION.jpg
    I like the subtlety of the textures of the nebula and the definition of the Trapezium in the 2020 image. I have yet to be able to match this one, even with identical camera settings (ISO 1600, single 20s exposure). Must have been a combination of good seeing, transparency and focus.

Clear skies!
    Reggie:cool:

Mak the Night, PXR-5 and Ed D like this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Nice images, Reggie. I agree with you that the 2020 image is a little sharper and more detailed compared to the 2022 image. They're both nice.

You mentioned the camera settings were identical, and suspect some difference in the conditions. Comparing the two images, it appears that the 2022 image looks a little more exposed. I downloaded the 2020 image and used GIMP to simulate a little more exposure. The processed 2020 image and the 2022 image looked identical. Hmmm.....

After my experiences these past few days, what I am going to try are single frame JPEG exposures, varying the ISO and shutter times for each. Let's see what happens.

Ed

Orion25 likes this.
  3. Orion25

Thanks for looking, Ed, and checking into that. Interesting results! I want to do another round of shots on the next clear night. Good luck with your shots!

Ed D likes this.
  4. PXR-5

PXR-5 Well-Known Member

Very nice capture Reggie!

Orion25 likes this.
  5. Orion25

Thanks, Jeff!

6. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

Great pictures as always Reggie. I was visually observing M42 last night with the Orion zoom in an Orion Barlow, which I considered a tad apposite lol. I was out for three hours but Orion was only high enough to view properly with the scope near the end of the session. I went out early as I figured the cold would get to me later on. I was fine until everything frosted over!

Orion25 likes this.
  7. Orion25

Thanks, Dave. LOL, love the Orion theme (I'm a big fan of Orion products, obviously, haha). I hate it when the dew and frost come. My dew shield gives me a good three or so hours on chilly nights with the Mak. Keep yourself warm, my friend!

8. Mak the Night

Mak the Night Well-Known Member

You're welcome Reggie. I always enjoy your photo's.

Mak's seriously need dew shields!

o2uFxM5.jpg

I even put extensions on scopes with their own shields.

kz9EL60.jpg

Dewing isn't a huge problem for me, just autumn mainly.

KNwhLT1.jpg
    I didn't use any dew control last year at all. Apart from adding a flexible shield to the 72ED now. Saves tripping over wires in the dark lol.

Orion25 likes this.
  9. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I use an Astro Zap dew shield on my iOptron 6" Mak. I still have the dew shield from the 5" Mak I sold. I roll that one up and slide it over my DSLR lenses, as well as using it to extend the shielding on my TV-85. My problem isn't so much the dew as it is the light pollution. It's bad enough that the night sky never gets dark and looks like twilight, but I have neighbors that really love to drive up their electric bill. The dew shields keep light from getting into my scopes/lenses.

Ed D

Orion25 likes this.
  10. Orion25

You're right, Ed. The dew shield keeps stray light from getting into the scope as well. I use the Astro Zap, too. It's a real pain dealing with the neighbors' house and security lights, UGHHH!