1. Final Announcement: We're Saying Goodbye to AstronomyConnect. Read Our Closing Notice.
Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Another astro gear purge

Discussion in 'General Astronomy Chat' started by Gabby76, Oct 11, 2023.

Another astro gear purge

Started by Gabby76 on Oct 11, 2023 at 11:25 AM

10 Replies 690 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. Gabby76

Gabby76 Well-Known Member

After bringing the AXD and accessories home I need more room in the astro shed.
    The hardest part about getting rid of gear is you become attached to it.

After many years of excellent service I am letting go my hypertuned Celestron AS-GT and Skywatcher EQ-5.
    Both have stronger tripods as well.
    I removed the 22 gauge/ 1/32" thick legs and replaced them with 16 gauge/ 1/16" stainless steel tube.
    I also increased the overall leg length by 150 mm. Much sturdier than the factory supplied tripod!

Also leaving is my modified Celestron SLT, Manfrotto 055 Pro, Manfrotto 028b and Vixen observatory pier.
    I am also including a set of Nikon-SW, 2 sets of Fujiyama-HD and 2 sets of Baader classic orthos.

Since I have removed all of this from the astro shed to the parking garage I can actually get to my work/ test bench again!

This Friday it will all be loaded into the van and taken to a friend in Poland that works at a telescope shop.

Orion25 and PXR-5 like this.
  2. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I have gotten rid of a lot of astro goodies and sporting goods items over the last few years. I have enjoyed everything I had, but I find I like the simplicity at this point in my life much more. I'm also more proficient with the items I decided to keep.

Orion25, PXR-5, Gabby76 and 1 other person like this.
  3. sojourneyer

sojourneyer Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that Ed. I need to prompt myself to start culling out things from my past as well. Well, two exceptions: my wife and my dog.

Orion25, Ed D and PXR-5 like this.
  4. Gabby76

It can be quite amazing how many things a person gathers in this hobby.
    A occasional house clearing can be a good way to figure out what you have but do not need anymore.
    Now I just need to go catalog what is in the shed for yearly insurance renewal

Orion25, Ed D, PXR-5 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

I think in just about any hobby/sport one can amass quite a bit of gear. I need to start going through my things again and dispose of unused items, be they sold, given away or trashed.

PXR-5, Gabby76 and sojourneyer like this.
  6. PXR-5

PXR-5 Well-Known Member

I have really downsized in the last several years, maybe too much lol

I still have an 80ED, a C8, and a 127 Mak, and several binoculars, I seem to use the binoculars the most lately.

Ed D, Gabby76 and sojourneyer like this.
  7. Gabby76

I have a friend who was a bit of a refractor snob :rolleyes:
    The only good refractor was a apochromat, over the last few years he has sold them all and now just uses binoculars.
    Mind he has them from 35 mm to 120 mm...

The refractors I currently own all have a sentimental attachment with them so they are not going anywhere!
    Pretty much everything else is fair game if it does not fit a need.

Ed D, sojourneyer and PXR-5 like this.
  8. sojourneyer

I have culled down to three scopes and one mount.

9. Gabby76

If I will be out viewing for a while I will set up 1-3 telescopes at a time.
    A couple of years ago there were 5 planets up and I had a telescope tracking each one so I could go between them all. :D

Orion25 and sojourneyer like this.
  10. sojourneyer

you must have a nice lot at home and plenty of space along with a strong body.

11. Gabby76

Before my flat was on the third floor and everything had to be carried up and down stairs, now the flat is on the second floor but the astro shed is on the terrace/ parking garage roof so I just step outside and set up.
    The terrace is 6.7 m x 5.5 m (22'x18') so lots of room for people and telescopes.

My job and business are also quite physical so I am at the gym every morning for at least 90 minutes.

Ed D and sojourneyer like this.