Dismiss Notice
New Cookie Policy
On May 24, 2018, we published revised versions of our Terms and Rules and Cookie Policy. Your use of AstronomyConnect.com’s services is subject to these revised terms.

Beware of fake eclipse glasses!

Discussion in 'Celestial Events' started by Orion25, Aug 7, 2017.

Beware of fake eclipse glasses!

Started by Orion25 on Aug 7, 2017 at 5:18 PM

24 Replies 5200 Views 2 Likes

Reply to Thread Post New Thread
  1. george

george Developer

Actually I have already left for my great American eclipse road trip. Currently in a tent in Utah. I'll try to check it out when I get on my computer.

Orion25 likes this.
  2. Dave In Vermont

Dave In Vermont Well-Known Member

Cool, George! I hope you have a great journey for the eclipse.

The Pdf. I dropped off could well be a good email to the customer-list of Agena - as long as the Pdf. is attached to a letter explaining what happened and that Amazon pulled a 'blanket-blacklisting' of all the vendors who'd used them. Which is an utterly pathetic move on Amazons' part.

If you folks need any help from 'Yours' Truly' regards how to kick a GIANT in the view of all - don't hesitate to ask. As an activist, I'm well-known as a 'troubleshooter.' When people hit the rock-wall and can't find an effective way to knock-down the 'GIANT' - I'm the guy who can often find the way to depose the oligarch from their perch. I can't stand injustice being spewed by those with the most capital toward the 'little guy' making a go of it. I enjoy pulling the 'rug' out from under their feet.

May your journey be the best ever so far!

Dave

Nebula and Orion25 like this.
  3. Dave In Vermont

This is to you, George - though the information enclosed herein is free to all as a warning.

Today I was treated to 2 bills from Amazon.com. (or .CON). They were from 'Synchrony Bank' claiming I owed $37 + change - including $11.00 for a 'Late Fee.' I got another a few weeks ago and called the phone-number for this bunch - from the bill. And in heavy accents was told to pay up. Then they hung-up on me.

Today's played the same tune - after supposedly 'transferring' my call to another department. Whomsoever started out by asking for my social-security number. NO WAY! "You must give us this number!" I replied that on every bill they've (or whosoever) sent - nowhere was any mention made as to what I bought on Amazon and other details of the transaction they claimed I owed for. And as icing-on-the-cake, I never had a Amazon credit-card in the first place - and this crap claimed it was for a $100.00 line-of-credit. $100?? I'd never touch something that low in 1,000 years! I have REAL credit-cards with substantially more.

"I can't help you without your social-security number!"

I told 'em to take me to court. "What was the transaction FOR?! "Just give me the last four..." -CLICK-

So I've been out warning everyone to steer far clear of Amazon EVERYTHING! Looks like ISIS is doing a fundraiser, with Amazon hosting the show.

Off to drop a warning-copy to the AARP - Fraud Division.

Dave - and the cast from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

4. Ed D

Ed D Well-Known Member

Dave, I really doubt that was Amazon. From what you describe, it seems more like someone intercepted the transactions and is using the information to bully people into parting with their hard earned cash. Scammers are having a field day with this stuff, and they are good at it. Amazon or not, I know what my response would be.

On a similar note, last week at work I heard the conversation of a woman who had been contacted by the "IRS" and was bullied to pay up or she would be thrown in jail. Needless to say, the poor thing was a nervous wreck. We were all reassuring her it was a scam, and that she could contact the IRS and ask them about it.

Ed D

5. Dave In Vermont

I'm aware of all the scams out there - in fact I send them to the AARP Fraud Division to help preventing other potential victims. But if you're right, this is a first - on letterhead through the mail - not the standard con-job by telephone. Considering this and all the other stuff going down with Amazon.com in the center - I think it's for real.

I remember the America-Online rip-off where that bunch set-up everyong they could get credit-card numbers for, and claimed millions of people had accounts who, in fact, did not! AOL was raking in tens of millions of dollars with charging monthly fees for their services, and these people didn't have (or want) accounts for.

It was so-widespread that major banks had to open-up new divisions just to handle the AOL-scam! And AOL had done it - not some crooks with a boiler-room in a trailer-park.

Dave